Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is my baby getting enough

Default Is my baby getting enough

Hi there,

My little one is 3.5 months and I know by this time they are more efficient nursers and can get what he/she needs in about 5-7 minutes( so I read on other sites). My concern, is my LO getting the Hindmilk in such a short period of nursing? I was told to make sure to nurse at least 15-20 on each side to ensure getting the Hindmilk. I nurse on each side and until my LO pulls away and no longer seems interested.
    Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Is my baby getting enough

Dear Zestysauce,
    Each of my LO's nursed for varying lengths of time/perfeeding over the course of their breastfeeding years.
    one month, my dd5 nursed for 5 minutes per feeding, and would only take one side.
    A month later she wanted both breasts and lustily nursed for 20 minutes.
    I did not worry about the hindmilk fore milk ratio. I watched my baby to look for signs that she was getting the nutrition she needed.
    eventually my LO nursed only from one side per feeding and she was quick to finish.
    we did however marathon nurse in the early evening and I believe she got a hefty percentage of everything she needed during those 3 hour nurse-a-thons.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

No need to worry or clock-watch. Babies can become very efficient feeders very early on. My second kid took only 5-10 minutes to feed right from the beginning. The baby's diaper output and weight gain will tell you what you need to know. As long as the baby is producing sufficient wet and poopy diapers (see this reference: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...ughmilk-older/) and is growing and developing normally (here's a handy link: http://kellymom.com/health/growth/growthcharts/), he's getting plenty to eat.

The terms "hindmilk" and "foremilk" throw a lot of moms for a loop. But those terms, while handy, are misleading. You only produce milk- relatively watery and rich in carbohydrates at the beginning of a feeding, increasingly creamy as the feeding progresses. But all the milk contains fat and fat-soluble elements, so even the so-called foremilk contains everything a baby needs to grow and thrive, provided a baby gets enough of it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks so much for the encouragement and helpful advice.