Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues getting Baby #3 to take bottle

Default Issues getting Baby #3 to take bottle

DD1 and DD2 took a bottle easily. We never had a moment of nipple confusion. When I needed them to take a bottle of expressed breast milk (which wasn't often), they did.

DD3 has yet to take a bottle. She flatly refuses. DH is the one giving it to her. I'm not even in the house. We've tried a few different bottles (all of which worked for her sisters). The only thing we haven't tried is fresh pumped (been frozen thawed, like we did for her sisters).

Is it possible to have a lipase issue with a third child that you didn't have for #1 or #2? Or do we just have to keep spending money on different bottles until we figure this out?

She'll be 6 months on the 16th. I haven't been away more than 2 hours because of this issue. I really need a break.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Issues getting Baby #3 to take bottle

Does she get really upset when you are gone? DS1 took forever to really take a bottle at daycare but he never was particularly upset.

Have you tasted the milk?
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

JMO - I would try fresh pumped for sure. That's what we started with. That may get her to take it and then try pulling a switcharoo with the frozen milk again in a couple of weeks. (We use Playtex Silicone NaturalLatch nipples BTW)
    At least using fresh milk would still allow you out of the house sometimes. You could just pump right before leaving and she'd have the fresh milk to drink. Pumped milk also lasts up to a week in the fridge and retains a lot of the fresh taste that way.

You might already know these but here are some tips for Offering Your Breastfed Baby a Bottle.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Going out to dinner tomorrow night. Probably only 4 hours. I'll nurse her before I go and have fresh milk on hand. Hopefully she won't put the gears to DH too badly.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I've tried a couple times to leave a bottle for DS3 when my MIL was watching him for an extended period. Both times, he fussed and carried on so much, that by the time he finally gave in to take the bottle, I was on my way back anyway. Since then, I never bother to leave a bottle. I nurse him right before I leave to go somewhere (we're never on a strict schedule, so it works out), and I can be gone 2-3 hours and he usually goes down for a nap within an hour-ish of my leaving.

Granted, this wouldn't have worked with DS2 as he would demand to nurse every 1-2 hours and was inconsolable otherwise; but fortunately DS3 has been more patient and laid-back; so even if he's getting a little hungry, he's willing to wait for me as long as someone is holding him and distracting him.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Yes, you can have lipase for one kid and not for another. I didn't have a lipase problem until I got to #3.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Taste your frozen milk and make sure.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

What does lipase taste like? I may have this same problem. Baby # 3 won't take bottle! I desperately need a date night with the hubby but can't get away from little miss comfort nurser.
    I am a 26 yr old Registered Nursing student, and more importantly a happy mom!
    born 12/2/05
    born 3/9/09.
    born 2/12/12
    I love and I love my kids

I have the same problem my daughter is 7 1/2 months old and she refuses to take a bottle all day at day care and nurses nonstop all night! What do I do??? I need to get her to sleep at night and eat during the day

try fresh milk and try a sippy or a straw cup. My niece refuses a bottle too but she would do a sippy cup at 3-4 months.
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14
    born all natural 11/4/14 nursing like a champ and growing like a weed!