Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy Baby/Returned Period/Teething

Default Fussy Baby/Returned Period/Teething

After 10 months my period returned today...Great right?!?! Sadie is a little over 10 months and she has been eating some solids(usually bfast, lunch and dinner) but also breastfeeding before and after usually. We are at about 6 feedings a day and sometimes she sleeps 11 hours at night. Lately she has been really fussy. I was always feeding her on one side at a time and now she demands both breasts at each feeding. I feel less and less full everyday. She has been teething the past couple weeks and when I put her to the breast she puts her head down and fusses before she takes it. I don't know what's going on!! I try not to give her too much water during the day but family doesn't realize that. Does she really need water or juice when she is still bfing at this frequency? My twins weaned at 10 months so I'm pretty clueless beyond this point. Any advice on the fussiness and supply/demand issues (and if my menses has anyting to do with it) and also how much intake of fluid she should be getting would be greatly appreciated!!

Default Re: Fussy Baby/Returned Period/Teething

All of what you describe is normal. Your period returning: normal, and quite common once a baby is sleeping >6 hours in a row. Baby being fussy: normal, and quite possibly due to teething. Baby requiring both breasts at a feeding even though she used to need only one: very normal, once supply adjusts to meet demand very precisely. Feeling less and less full: normal, particularly once a baby is eating a lot of solid food.

Water isn't necessary at this age, because babies can still get their needs for fluid met at the breast. That doesn't mean you should limit water- just that you should aim to offer the breast first, before handing baby a sippy. Babies should not be given juice except as a special treat. It's always better for them to drink breastmilk or water, because the sugars in juice are bad for their teeth and because if a baby needs fruit, she should eat the whole fruit.

The best thing you can do is to offer the breast more frequently. That will boost your baby's breast I'll intake and your milk supply. If she seems fussy while nursing, try switching her from breast to breast- "switch nursing" is terrific for supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you. Yesterday she was so fussy coming to the breast. She would throw her head back and squeal or just hang her head forward. But if I tried to put my breast away she would really freak out and try to pull my shirt down. I just feel so bad because I don't know what she wants or how to help her. Once she is latched on she seems ok other than she just keeps moving trying to readjust herself. She practically rolls all the way over. If it is her gums that are causing this, is there anything that I can do prior to the feeding? I was hesitant on orajel or the teething tabs after what I had read about their recalls.
    I was wondering also with my period returning after so long, is that usually more painful than a normal period? I'm not really cramping but really hurting and have been for the past couple weeks leading up to its return. I went to the dr and had an ultrasound but nothing was wrong.

Thanks again!!

I let my LO suck on a cold washcloth or teething ring for a minute or two before nursing and it seems to help his gums. Also, when it gets really bad, ibuprofen, though I don't like doing that until it's the last resort.
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11