Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Recurring nipple and breast pain

Default Recurring nipple and breast pain

Hello, my DD is just now 3 months old and nursing has been going great. The only problem I have is It is starting to get really painful on my right nipple. In the very beginning I had pain because it was a flat nipple, but eventually the pain went away. Her latch is great so I'm not sure what the problem might be. Any moms have any advice on how to help? It's getting to the point that I don't want her to latch on. Also, is it normal for my breasts to be sore to touch. Could they be plugged ducts? I don't have any lumps, just hurts to touch on outside and bottom of breasts. Thanks so much

Default Re: Recurring nipple and breast pain

Possible explanations for what you're experiencing:
    - Nipple bleb or blister: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/
    - Thrush: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/thrush-resources/
    - Mastitis: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

I'd want to look carefully at the nipple skin, particularly after nursing, since that tends to be when blebs are most evident. I'd also want to think about the pain: is it more of a burning or more of a pinching, needle-like pain? Does it intensify after nursing? And I'd want to take a good look at the skin of the breast, checking carefully for red patches or streaks that would indicate infection.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much for all the information referrals. I know it's not mastitis because I had that when she was 2 weeks old and I also had it with my DS at the same age (he is now 3 yrs). I do have a nipple ointment my dr prescribed me for pain and its also an anti-fungal. It's a sharp pain that goes away after awhile when she is nursing. It's much worse when I use the football hold, so all day today I just used the cradle hold and that seemed to help. The pain in my breasts don't have any red patches or streaks. The pain I feel when I touch or rub in the shower is deep, kind of like the feeling you get when your muscles are sore to the touch the next day after an exercise. Her nursing schedule is also all over the place. Could that be causing the soreness in my breasts? My last question is, do your breasts get bigger as you produce more milk?? Thank you so much again for all the help.

An all over the place nursing routine won't cause breast pain. What you describe- the deep soreness- sounds more like a plugged duct to me than anything else. They can be so deep in that you can't feel them. How long has this been going on? If it's just been a short while, and it came on suddenly, that would support the plugged duct hypothesis.

Milk production and breast size increase due to milk peak in early infancy, usually in the first weeks of breastfeeding. I know that seems odd, because you see older formula-fed babies drinking enormous bottles, and you assume that a breastfed baby will need that same amount. But it's not so: breastfed babies never drink as much in one sitting as formula-fed babies do, and tend to have a maximum demand of 3-4 oz, on average, throughout their first year! (Though there can be wide variation in the amount a baby takes at a given feeding.) So any changes in breast size you experience after the first few months are likely to be deflating, not inflating.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

That makes sense. Sorry it took me so long, I was on a family vacation and the pain actually went away. I believe she is just now going through a growth spurt and since she is nursing more often and longer, the pain has gone away for the most part. I do feel it more when it is getting close to her feeding time. As far as the breast size increase, that makes sense, then I guess I just need to start working out and lose some weight cause I'm sure that's what it is. Thanks again so much!!!