Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How did you introduce Cows Milk??

Default Re: How did you introduce Cows Milk??

We started a couple of weeks before 1 year, to prepare for daycare (I was able to stay home for the first year). I just offered it in a straw sippy cup and let them try as they see fit. They just picked at it and it was enough for them to stay hydrated during the day. I would nurse last thing before leaving for the day and first thing when I got home. They did just fine.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*luckypixie View Post
    Ladies, I'm not planning to stop pumping before she is one. However, the time is approaching fast and it's not like there's some kind of magic switch where the baby's needs totally change as soon as she is 365 days old (as opposed to 364 days old).

I'm just wondering about what should I do 6 weeks from now when she turns one. Given her incredibly frequent nursing style (on average, I nurse her 12 times in 24 hours when we are together), I'm wondering if I regular foods will be enough while I'm at work or if I have to supplement with cow's milk.
    It's not magical. But it is the point where weaning should BEGIN. And therefore LESS milk should be OK. In that if you have been playing around with solids and your child is eating them, THEY should be enough to supplement your milk. I was home with my son until he was 14months old. He nursed on demand the whole time. I went back full time at 14months so O was gone 9-10hours a day 5 days a week immediately. I never pumped and he wasn't interested in cows milk until after his 2nd b-day. So he drank water out of a sippy and ate solids while away from me and we nursed on demand while together. So from every 1-3 hours to 9-10 hours a day without and no cows milk supplment and no problems. It's not a magic number. But it's a time that your body has been working towards this whole 1st year. A time when you can go from demanding every 1-3 hours without it negatively affecting your supply AND also a time when the solids step up and the breastmilk begins to fill in the cracks instead of vice versa.

Way too lazy for formula

And I experiened a growth spurt around 14months that I would in no way want to be solely responsible for. Where he would eat EVERYTHING I sent to Daycare and Clean his plate at dinner and STILL want to nurse 6-10 tiimes in a 24hour period. I shudder to think what that would have been like for me it I hadn't been actively working to up the solids intake right around the year point.

Way too lazy for formula