Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you introduce Cows Milk??

Default How did you introduce Cows Milk??

We are fast approaching 1!! I want to start working on cutting out the BM while at DC. I am not sure the best way to introduce whole cows milk to W. I have heard of people mixing BM & WCM but that just sounds a little weird to me.

How did you ladies do it?
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Default Re: How did you introduce Cows Milk??

Just give baby a sippy of cow's milk and see what happens. He may like it, or he may not. Both my kids weren't fond of cow's milk at first and still aren't very- but that's fine because they eat plenty of cheese and yogurt, and also lots of non-dairy sources of healthy fats and calcium (tofu, fish, greens, etc.). Also, as long as you are nursing 3-5 times a day, there's no need to supplement with animal milk.

Please don't mix cow's milk and your milk- the storage guidelines are different and you don't want to risk a sippy half-full of breastmilk being dumped down the drain!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Slowly. We began introducing cows milk in one bottle/sippy a day around 11 or 12 months. My girls rejected it. But we persisted, and gave them an ounce or two daily and after a few weeks they were fine. Once they would drink the milk, we began replacing another bottle/sippy each day with cows milk, until they were fully on cows milk when not nursing. It may have taken us 2 months.

My son, on the other hand, took to cows milk like a champ and guzzled it without issue from day one.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*toddlerandtwins View Post
    Once they would drink the milk, we began replacing another bottle/sippy each day with cows milk, until they were fully on cows milk when not nursing. It may have taken us 2 months.
    I'm curious, what did you do on the weekends? Did you nurse during the day instead of cow's milk in a sippy or did your supply fluctuate enough to just nurse on the weekends?

As long as you are still nursing 3-5 times in a 24 hour period you don't need to supplement with cows milk. You CAN. If your child likes it great. But if your child doesn't don't stress. Feed water during the day with solids and continue to nurse on demand while together.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    As long as you are still nursing 3-5 times in a 24 hour period you don't need to supplement with cows milk. You CAN. If your child likes it great. But if your child doesn't don't stress. Feed water during the day with solids and continue to nurse on demand while together.
    Totally hijacking this thread, but my LO currently nurses at least every 1-1.5 hours when we are together (we co-sleep at night as well). She is 10.5 months.

Is it realistic that solids during the day while I'm at work would meet all of her nutritional needs by the time she is one? I'd love nothing more than to stop pumping and not have deal with cow's milk, but she is in 4th percentile weight-wise as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*luckypixie View Post
    Totally hijacking this thread, but my LO currently nurses at least every 1-1.5 hours when we are together (we co-sleep at night as well). She is 10.5 months.

Is it realistic that solids during the day while I'm at work would meet all of her nutritional needs by the time she is one? I'd love nothing more than to stop pumping and not have deal with cow's milk, but she is in 4th percentile weight-wise as it is.
    the general guideline is that breastmilk (or formula) should be the primary food until age 1, so you wouldn't want to start weaning her to solids UNTIL she turns 1. now, lots of people do it earlier, but you also risk losing your supply, if you stop pumping now. i guess i would say, from my own experience and from reading about others' on here, that it's NOT realistic to think a baby will get enough solids during the day before age 1 to hold her over. particularly with a tiny baby, i'd worry about cutting out any nursings - breastmilk is way more nutritious than anything she'd get as solids. i hear you about hating pumping! i think the realistic alternative is to supplement with formula, not solids, so you have to decide how you feel about that and how much you hate pumping vs how much you don't want to give formula.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

BUT Hold tight! Only 8 more weeks to go! At the year point you can begin to pump wean and expect that your supply will maintain and solids WILL be able to supplement your milk to the point of satisfaction. Which would be that at the year point she continues to grow at the curve she is on. At the year point you can begin to pump wean and that should be a process that is only weeks long at most!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    before age 1 to hold her over
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    BUT Hold tight! Only 8 more weeks to go! At the year point you can begin to pump wean and expect that your supply will maintain and solids WILL be able to supplement your milk to the point of satisfaction. Which would be that at the year point she continues to grow at the curve she is on. At the year point you can begin to pump wean and that should be a process that is only weeks long at most!
    Ladies, I'm not planning to stop pumping before she is one. However, the time is approaching fast and it's not like there's some kind of magic switch where the baby's needs totally change as soon as she is 365 days old (as opposed to 364 days old).

I'm just wondering about what should I do 6 weeks from now when she turns one. Given her incredibly frequent nursing style (on average, I nurse her 12 times in 24 hours when we are together), I'm wondering if I regular foods will be enough while I'm at work or if I have to supplement with cow's milk.

For my son, the switch didn't happen exactly at 12 months, but around 13 suddenly he was eating a TON more solids. Now, I started working from home at 11 months, so DH could bring DS to me to nurse during that time, so I wasn't pumping. My guess is that you'll see a dramatic change in your DD's eating behavior at some point around there, but exactly when it will be is impossible to predict. I personally think it's ok to encourage that switch while you're at work, so that you can quit pumping. DD might nurse more when you're home, especially at first, but she'll be ok during the day as long as she's got water and other foods, especially if you pump wean gradually so you're cutting out breastmilk gradually as well.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.