Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Egorgement after 11 weeks

Default Egorgement after 11 weeks

Hello ladies!

My LO started sleeping longer at night, so far between 5 and 6 hours. I usually nurse her around 8pm and she goes to sleep, I put her in her bed around 9pm (but that depends on how long she nurses...)
    She started sleeping longer since last week and every single night I wake up engorged around 4am, if she still sleeping. Althought around that time she wakes up to eat.
    I thought my body supposed to adjust to this changes, but I've been engorged every night since she started, like I said...
    I tried to hand-expressing when I wake up, at least a little bit to reduce the pain, but right then she usually wakes up to eat. I also have to pump after I nurse her because she doesn't get all the milk out (specially from the side that she takes last)
    I am also worried that she's getting too much foremilk...

I was just wondering if there's anything I can do or if I just need to wait until my body gets it and adjust the milk production

Thanks!!

Default Re: Egorgement after 11 weeks

It sounds like you have been short-circuiting the adjustment process with the pump. When you pump after you nurse the baby, and get all the milk out, you're telling your body to keep on making that same large amount of milk. I suggest avoiding the pump, minimizing the hand expression, nursing on demand, and just putting up with the engorgement/fullness as much as possible. If you do that for a few nights, you will probably see a notable decrease in overnight production.

Don't worry about baby getting too much foremilk unless she's suffering a lot of discomfort from gas and has consistently green poops. If you're seeing those two things, then we can talk about what might be causing them and what to do about them- but don't worry too much! They are not real health issues.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

As far as the engorement issue, I went through that with my kids when they started sleeping longer at night. I would pump in the morning to relieve the fullness, but not so much that they were soft. My kids would wake up and still have enough to eat after pumping. Eventually your body will regulate to the demand, but I remember feeling really full and in pain, in those cases you can pump enough out to relieve the pressure and pain.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

with Mommal. The less milk you express, the quicker your body will adjust. When I was getting engorged I firmly massaged my breasts to prevent plugs (milk would sometimes spray just from doing that, but I would try not to express any milk beyond that) and I used cold compresses to help ease the pain of engorgement.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    with Mommal. The less milk you express, the quicker your body will adjust. When I was getting engorged I firmly massaged my breasts to prevent plugs
    That's what I was worried about mostly... getting a duct plugged. How do I know if I have a plugged duct? Sometimes (probably every day now) I feel a very strange pain in my right breast, is very mild, and is pulsating (kinda) and I started thinking that I may have a plugged duct. The milk also flows very slow on that side, compared to the left side. And it seems like there is only one duct that is spraying milk when I pump. Maybe I'm just worrying too much?

Thank you for your replies! I love this forum!!

It could be a plug[s]. Often you feel a lump, but sometimes they are too deep to feel. I always felt an achy pain, like I had been punched in the breast. Give the breast a firm massage before every nursing session, nurse as often as your baby will agree to, and switch up positions every time you nurse. A firm massage in the shower also helped me a lot, but you are not supposed to let hot water run directly on the breast as it can stimulate milk production. Massaging between nursing sessions will help too.

Try not to worry. As long as you nurse frequently and avoid pumping, your supply should even out fairly soon.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).