Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to work question

Default Back to work question

Hi All!
    I have been back to work since Thursday and was wondering if it is okay that my 6 month old is only taking 3 oz total from the bottle while I'm gone 8 hours.

I nurse her several times in the morning and drop her off with the sitter. Then the sitter gives her milk and 1/2 jar of gerbers in the morning. She comes to nurse at work during my lunch break. Then she's offered the other 1/2 small har of gerbers and a bottle in the afternoon.

She is only taking about 2 oz in the morning and 1 in the afternoon and however much she gets from the nursing session at lunch.

I nurse her as much as possible in the pm.

Is that okay???

Default Re: Back to work question

Your Lo will let you know if she needs to nurse more often, esp. at night.
    she is not separated from you for an entire 8 hours b/c she nurses during your lunch break. How lucky for the two of you!
    You will probably want to express once or twice to keep up with what she takes at the sitter.
    hopefully on your days off from work you can spend some extra snuggling time together rather than running errands.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

She may take more once the schedule is more routine. The nursing at lunch is great. I'd just watch her diaper count to see if she's getting enough but it's not bad per se. One comment though is that before 12 months milk should be offered before solids (gerber) not after as baby should get most nutrients from milk.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks. I did ask the sitter to try to offer the milk first. Her diapers are only one or two a day but it's been that way for a while. I am trying to make all of my free time snuggle time. I'm really worried she will forget I'm her mom

She knows who you are, I promise. And she isn't going to forget.

Ok, well I will say that I personally would worry if she only pees once a day. How is her growth? Any signs of dehydration?

In general she should have 4-5 very wet diapers per 24 hours.
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...ughmilk-older/
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Since you're nursing her at your lunch break I think it doesn't sound like she's being deprived too much.

Is she only peeing a few times a day, or is she only being changed a few times a day? (is the diaper holding multiple wets before being changed)? That sorta changes the picture depending on the answer...