Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding for over an hour?

Question Feeding for over an hour?

My son is 9 days old and I am exclusively breast feeding him. But it is a very lengthy processes. He spends 30-45 minutes on each breast. I feed him on one side (trying to alternate which side I start on each time) for a good half hour. Then when he signals he is done (usually he stops sucking and kinda lets go) I change his diaper. He usually is still acting hungry (turning his head to side and making wide mouth sucking faces) so I feed on the other side. Again, usually for 30 minutes. I am using the Medela Nipple Shield because it is pretty painful without it.

I hearing from other Moms they say they are feeding 15-20 minutes each time. Why is it taking my son so long to eat? Is there anything I can do to speed the processes?

Thanks, Lora

Default Re: Feeding for over an hour?

It gets quicker as they grow, but at first feedings tend to be pretty drawn-out--30-45 minutes is very normal, and then by the time he finishes the second breast, he's probably not too far from being ready to start another feeding. My son got faster around 3-4 months, when he really started to notice things around him more--there were bigger and better things to do than hang around eating all day! As long as his diaper output is good, letting you know he's removing milk, I wouldn't worry about the length of the feedings. Do what you can do to make it as easy on yourself as possible--have water, snacks, books, etc. handy--and get comfortable.

I agree with PP. My DD, who is 7 wks, would take between 20-40 mins on each side just after she was born. Even now she still takes 20 mins on each breast. Just let your LO continue as even although he'll not be getting milk for that length of time he'll be stimulating your brain into making more. Plus he could be going through his first wee growth spurt so feeding very often and not 'being satisfied' after a feed is normal - as long as his weight gain is still on the up and he's pooing and peeing normally.

And you'll soon learn that you can't speed up your LO's feeding. Bfed babies are in charge as far as that's concerned ;-) As PP said he'll soon find other things to occupy him so nursing sessions will become shorter as he becomes more efficient. HTH.
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Mummy to my DS , born 30 july 2008
    proud to have BF him for 8 months
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 15oz - 19.5inches
    4 yrs: 35lbs 4oz - 3feet 5.5inches
    5 yrs: 40lbs - 3feet 8inches

DD Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 13oz - 19.5inches
    6.5 months 12lbs 14oz - 26inches
    9 months 15lbs 13oz
    15months 20lbs 11oz - 30 inches

Thank you for the input. It really only gets tough at night. His diapers seem good to me and his dr wasn't concerned with his weight (he only lost 9oz from birth in the first week) so I guess we'll keep plugging along.

Another quick question, I'm using the nipple shields but it does still hurt when he first latches on. It is not painful once he starts eating good but is there anything I can do to relieve the pain when he first latches on.

Thanks again for the support.
    Lora

Nipple shields do serve their purpose but long term can lead to supply issues. What do your nipples look like when he finishes.? Do they look like a new lipstick shape? We need to figure that part out because a correct latch shouldn't hurt
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

with Jenna. She asked just the right question.

I just want to add that in addition to sometimes causing supply problems, nipple shields can slow feedings down. If you got rid of the shield, you might have faster nursing sessions.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Greetings moms! I'm also a new mom to a beautiful baby girl 3 weeks old today. In the first week and a half she completely refused one breast then hung onto dear life to the other breast, this was causing me an enormous amount of pain. We went to see the LC at the hospital and she gave me some tips to keep my LO at the breast but the latching seemed to still not work. We are now in week 3, she's suckling on both breasts but I am very sure that the latch is completely wrong as I experience horrible pain. And yes, the nipple comes out looking like a new lipstick once she's done. She also hangs on there (either breast) for 30-40 mins, but I'm in so much pain by then even if she is still hungry I give in to the bottle! Not sure what to do now. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated!
    Sincerely,
    In terrible pain (aka Martie)

Martie, other than the ouchy latch, how are things going? Are baby's weight gain and output ok? And are your nipples in pain just during nursing or all the time?
    It certainly sounds like your latch could use a little improvement. One thing I found really helpful was laid-back breastfeeding. I would try to latch my baby while leaning forward a bit, but then leaning backwards onto pillows (not necessarily a whole lot, just to a comfortable place) once he was on so that his latch would stay nice and open throughout the entire time he was nursing. What I had to do to achieve a good latch was really get him to open wide, so he wasn't slurping his way onto the breast. I was tickling his lips with my nipple, trying to see if I could get him to mimic me opening my mouth, then when he did open wide, getting him latched on fast. It sometimes took a few tries to get a good latch. Sometimes it made us very frustrated, and he'd get too frantic, so I'd let him go with a bad latch for a minute or two, until he calmed a bit, then tried again. It took a couple of weeks before he started latching on right every time, but after a day or two, we were having significantly better latches, and I was merely gritting my teeth for the 60 second sizzle, instead of weeping in pain pretty much the whole time.
    There are a bunch of links about getting a good latch here: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...nd-Positioning Also it may benefit you to have hands-on help with an LC. Or perhaps there is a LLL leader nearby, you could try calling her or going to a meeting. And remember if the latch looks good but feels bad, it's bad; if it looks bad but feels good, it is good.
    Also, instead of giving her a bottle (which can cause its own set of problems), have you tried switching her to the other side when she acts fussy after the first? At three weeks you are likely in the midst of a growth spurt, and usually babies go through growth spurts by nursing a TON. So that could be part of her fussiness, and it could just be normal baby fussiness. Newborns get a lot of comfort from nursing and being held, which is all totally normal and good for building your supply and giving them practice at nursing. Of course, I totally understand your getting overwhelmed by pain, I was there, too. Try to keep experimenting on positions and latching, working on getting a good latch, it may be two steps forward one back for a bit, but you'll get the hang of it before too long.
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

as long as baby is gaining as expected long/frequent nursing sessions are not a problem. but needing to use nipple sheilds to nurse suggests there may be latch issues that have to be addressed.

martie yes try all ideas in pp as well as diofferent positioning like laid back. If you can,i suggest you get breastfeeding assessed again maybe by a different ibclc and baby checked for tt by someone who knows how to diagnose and treat tt or lip tie that is creating a barrier to nursing. nipple pain that bad for that long suggests there may be a physiological issue.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Nipple shields do serve their purpose but long term can lead to supply issues. What do your nipples look like when he finishes.? Do they look like a new lipstick shape? We need to figure that part out because a correct latch shouldn't hurt
    My nipples do not stick out very much and when he finishes they are a little more protruding but they don't stay like that but for a second. I keep trying to fix his latch, trying without the shield but my breast are large and it's hard to see how he is latching on because if I start to pull the breast back he lets go. I'm in a fair amount of pain and am willing to try anything.

I read a breast pump can help pull out your nipple to aid in latching, I have a manual pump coming from Amazon tomorrow.

Thank you for your help.

Lora