Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need advice for my 7 month old baby sleeping patterns

Default Need advice for my 7 month old baby sleeping patterns

Hello,
    I have a 7 month old baby and so far I have nursed on demand he's been exclusively BF until 6.5 months, we have introduced some solids but we are doing BLS so he "eats" a little but he is mostly just tasting and exploring a little with food. I am a stay at home mom, so I give most of my attention to my LO during the day (BF on demand, play, carry him in a sling, etc), but I feel a little bit desperate with his sleeping habits at night.
    He used to wake up only 2 times to nurse and it was fine with me, we co-sleep most of the night (he sleeps in his crib the first part of the night), but lately he wakes up every 2 hours and wants to nurse and sometimes just wants to play or "talk", but mostly just nurse. I thought it was just a phase or a growing sprout but it's been more than a month now, and I honestly just want to get more rest, I am even thinking of maybe trying a different parenting "method" since i feel like this whole attachment parenting is failing me... please give me some advice on what to do, I don't want to stop nursing at night but i would like it to go back to 2 (maybe 1) times at night, is it possible?

Default Re: Need advice for my 7 month old baby sleeping patterns

I know this is totally not what you want to hear, but I think it is a normal phase and the best thing to do is to wait it out (while cosleeping and napping with your baby to get some extra sleep). My son also woke every 2 hours at 7 months, and he continued to do so for a few months after that. He started sleeping better on his own once he started walking because the extra exercise required more solid sleep. There is a lot going on at 7 months that can lead to more frequent night waking. Teething is pretty common. You can try giving a dose of ibuprofen at bedtime if you suspect teething; that can get you an extra hour or two of sleep sometimes. There are lots of milestones at this age that can keep babies awake. Also, lots of babies are very busy and distracted during the day and nurse better at night when they are sleepy. My son had all three of these things going on simultaneously at that age.

Try to get naps as often as possible. My son was a terrible napper so I only got a couple 15-20 minute naps in during the day (which still helped a little), and I would hand my son over to my husband when he got home from work and take a short nap (usually about an hour) until my son needed to nurse again. Also try going to bed a little earlier if you can. And remember that this will pass. Your baby will sleep better when he is developmentally ready to do so. Good luck!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Yes at this stage they are bombarded with new things, new skills, new feelings. These night wakings are normal. My guys woke up to practice smiling and clapping...so cute, just not at 4 am!!!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks for the support I keep telling myself it is just a phase, but I am exhausted since he was waking up only twice at 3 months and this "phase" actually started when he was 4 months old, so I was hoping it to be over by now or at least a little bit easier. I guess the biggest problem is I am always second guessing myself and asking if there is something else that will help him sleep better since I want him to sleep more hours in a block not just because I am tired but also (and mainly) because I see that he wakes up in the morning so tired and just wants to nap almost every hour until noon, I watch him sleep at night and sometimes he is very restless, like moving his legs and trying to turn around which I imagine is physically tiring for him...and also makes me wondering if it is not detrimental for his development... thanks!

Don't worry- frequent night waking is totally normal and not detrimental to baby's development. Babies naturally sleep more lightly and have shorter sleep cycles than adults, and frequently rouse themselves from sleep when they practice their new physical skills (like rolling or pre-crawling) in their sleep. The real difference between an adult and a baby is that adults have learned to put themselves back to sleep when they rouse in the night, and adults also don't need to eat at night. I suggest taking a look at Elizabeth Pantley's book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" for some gentle ways to encourage longer stretches of more independent sleep.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"