Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refusing breast :(

Default Refusing breast :(

My DD turned 4MO on friday, mostly breastfed and occasionally bottle fed with EBM and I am SAHM. She is bottlefed either by her grandparents or dad only when i am away at work, which is about once or twice a week and about two bottles each time. usually she isnt very fond of bottles, drinking less from the bottle and nursing more frequently when i come back. But since last night she fed only thrice over a period of 13 hrs. and since today morning just refusing to feed at breast. She took the bottle twice and infact asked for it... she was holding the bottle herself (quite surprising ....)

How can this happen overnight ????

I am hoping this is something temporary, please someone reassure me that this is not going to last..
    First Time Mom to A born on April 3rd 2012

Seven months and counting thanks to my family and this forum here.

Default Re: Refusing breast :(

My DD who is 14 weeks has done this once or twice too. Seems to happen when she is over tired? Not sure though. I seen a post about going into a dark room with white noise to get them to latch. It worked for me but took 10 long minutes. Not fun at all.

Thanx Happykaramom...

I tried that and had success with the right one but she just wont latch or even try sucking on the left one. And she is still feeding once every 3-4 h which is longer than usual for her....
    Otherwise she seems happy. I am getting engorged on my left one.... should i pump it every few hours or just hand express for comfort ??

I am hoping that this will pass too.. TIA for any suggestions

Is there any possibility of teething, ear infection, or other illness? If you suspect teething you can try switching up positions (mine often preferred to nurse more upright during teething), giving a cold washcloth or teething ring to chew on before nursing, and/or giving a dose of ibuprofen or acetaminophen. If there is any possibility of ear infection you will want to see a doctor straight away. Nursing is often uncomfortable during ear infections. Nursing in a more upright position can sometimes help relieve some of the pain until the infection is cleared. My son also nursed very poorly when he had a sore throat. If this might be a possible cause, see a doctor if you think it is necessary and again try switching up nursing positions. My son nursed best with us in a side lying position when he had a sore throat.

That said, babies can start getting very distracted around four months. Some things that helped me nurse through the distractibility were: wearing a nursing necklace, nursing in a sling or other carrier (I love my Ergo for this) while walking around - the motion helps calm my son, and nursing in a dark, distraction free space as happykaramom mentioned.

If you are uncomfortable due to the lack of nursing, then I might pump until the baby is nursing more frequently again. I'm thinking that it probably won't help matters if milk supply drops in the breast that is being completely refused.

Good luck!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanx a lot phi

We are back to feeding at both breasts again
    I still dont knw what went wrong. We tried the football hold with a few pillows to get her feeding on the left side. after two or three such feedings she is back to normal again.

I dont know what was wrong yday..... but am just happy that this has been resolved