Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!!! Broken nipple

Default Help!!! Broken nipple

Hi! I am a happy mother of 2 mo old girl. Since the beginning I have a problem with my left nipple. It was a big hole in it so I was pumping the milk every 3 hours and giving it to my baby. The nipple now is almost fine and I decided yesterday to give it to my girl. the nipple and my breast hurts me a lot since yesterday. It is difficult to feed the baby. The pain is huge. When I started feeding my girl I stopped pumping. My breast got red in the bottom. I had Mastitis before and I'm afraid to get it again.
    My little one has also tongue-tight but the doctor said that when she's gaining weight correctly the tongue-tight has nothing in common and the only problem with it in the future is problem with speech. He said that when the lactation consultant will say that the tongue-tight is responsible for tearing my nipple then he will cut it but she will need anesthesia for that. Otherwise he want's to do it when she will be at least one yo.
    Please tell me what should I do - pump the milk again!? I really want to fully breastfeed again and be able to go out somewhere without worrying about bottles and pumping time
    Thank you for all your help...
    Last edited by @llli*polinka; August 5th, 2012 at 10:40 AM.

Default Re: Help!!! Broken nipple

I think your pediatrician is maybe not up on the latest clinical thinking on tt. Now, it is more generally recognized that if tt is causing or even suspected of causing severe pain and injury to mom, it is a barrier to successful breastfeeding and thus a serious medical issue that needs to be addressed immediately. You may want to seek a second opinion about treatment. tt in a newborn is typically treated with either no anesthesia or a local, not gen anesthesia, is my understanding. Do you have an lc? she or your local lll or local breastfeeding coalition may have ideas for practitioners you can see.

the book the womanly art of breastfeeding 8th edition has a v. good discussion of tt. also Some moms on here have found the information here helpful: http://kiddsteeth.com/articles.html

if baby is unable to transfer milk effectively from that side, then yes, you will want to pump again, both to protect your milk supply and to prevent milk build up/engorgement which can lead to mastitis. But you can perhaps adjust your pumping schedule as needed, babies do not typically nurse on a set schedule so no need to pump on one either, as long as you are pumping frequently enough overall. You could also try hand expression as an on the go solution.

AS far as bottles go, I wonder how much milk baby can get on the 'good' side. It may be enough, or at least enough for outings. I would suggest avoiding bottles as much as possible, by nursing as much as you can, considering feeding method alternatives, and, when bottle feeding, do so in as breastfeeding supportive way as possible.

paced bottle feeding http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

hand expression: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...expression.pdf

thank you for the response. I will start pumping again. I don't have lc. Where I can find one to talk with as fast as I can? I talked already with two ent doctors. One said that he can do it at 6 months and the other said that he would like to do it when she will be 1 yo unless my lactation consultant will say that tt is really a problem in my case.

you can search for an International Board Certified Lactation consultant here: www.ilca.org under "directories". I think an IBCLC has to pay to be listed there, so there may be others--In that case, you could try asking around at your hospital or if you have a LLL leader near you that you can call for an LC's info.
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11