Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Levaquin and low milk supply

Default Levaquin and low milk supply

So, as lucky would have it, BOTH me and my 3.5 mos old baby have coxsackie. I was also diagnosed with a UTI on top of it and put on levaquin. My mom has been watching my daughter so I can rest. I pumped last night, this morning and this afternoon and got a pretty average amount of our each breast. Tonight I pumped and barely got 1.5 oz out of each breast. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm assuming it's from the meds but don't know for sure. I just started the meds yesterday and am supposed to take them for a week. If my supply decreased this much in a day I'll have nothing left in a week.

Default Re: Levaquin and low milk supply

Nurse nurse nurse. take your baby to bed with you and nurse around the clock. You're not going anywhere anyway.
    My kids used to get coxsackie every summer, i know how much of a drag it is.
    nursing was the only thing that helped comfort the LO back to health.
    if you are pumping for some reason, and I don't know why, 1.5 ounces is not far off the mark, finish a pumping session by hand expressing to stimulate your supply.
    but nursing directly from the source is the way to go.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

She's not here- that's why I'm pumping. I have coxsackie too and had 103 yesterday. I could barely stay awake so my mother took her to take care of her and kept her today and tonight so that I could rest.

Pumping doesn't maintain supply as well as nursing. Get the baby back ASAP- she'll get your supply back on track.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Pumping doesn't maintain supply as well as nursing. Get the baby back ASAP- she'll get your supply back on track.
    Plus, in order to pump enough to maintain supply (2-3 hours around the clock), you will usually get far less rest than just cuddling in bed and nursing your baby. The antibodies in your fresh milk will help her recover too.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).