Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: block feeding question

Default block feeding question

So my left boob is the one spraying everywhere causing my DS (3 weeks) to choke/gag and back away screaming during feedings. It is the more plentiful boob so I pump this one max twice daily to prep bottles for when I return to work in a few weeks. I also tend to return to this one after a few hours since it always seems full (I don't think it's ever really truly empty). The right boob seems just right. It still leaks, but no spray and far less choking and gagging. The right boob DOES seem to empty after only one feeding though. So my question is- I heard about block feeding for OALD. Can I have OALD in only one side? And which side should I prefer? The right one to decrease supply on the left? I'm a little confused. Help, please, before he really starts to reject my left breast!

Default Re: block feeding question

Yes, you'll want to nurse and pump more often on the right breast. This will leave your overproducing, left breast getting emptied less often and will therefore send the signal to your body to produce less milk on that side. Try not to do anything to add stimulation such as unneeded pumping, hot showers, etc.

I have one breast that is always out-producing the other side (as many women do, it is quite common). What I did was block feed so that I would nurse on the "regular" side three times for every two feeds on the other overproducing side. Or you can do it in time blocks, which is what most moms do ... maybe do four hours on your right breast, and then two hours on your left (so every time you nurse within that time block it is from that designated breast)? Does that make sense?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Yes! Thanks so much for the quick response. I've tried to stimulate the right (regular) breast with pumping, but it's a much slower process than when I pump the left. I'll keep at it. Thanks for the advice!

One more! I'm already trying the block feeding and my over producing breast is extremely engorged and painful! How can I relieve the engorgement without pumping or nursing longer on that side? Will I develop mastitis? Thanks again!

Oh, yes, that sounds painful!

You can express *just enough for comfort*. That will make you feel better, but still send the signal that you don't need as much from that breast, slowing production.

I am in the exact same boat! Left side bigger than the right, even!

Quote Originally Posted by paint-the-moon View Post
    maybe do four hours on your right breast, and then two hours on your left (so every time you nurse within that time block it is from that designated breast)
    This is what I thought I should try... So if the baby eats every two hours, there should be two feedings in a row on the right, then one on the left, then two on the right again, and so on?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    This is what I thought I should try... So if the baby eats every two hours, there should be two feedings in a row on the right, then one on the left, then two on the right again, and so on?
    Yes, that is how I managed my overproducing side. I think my right side outproduced my left by three times!!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Quote Originally Posted by paint-the-moon View Post
    Yes, that is how I managed my overproducing side. I think my right side outproduced my left by three times!!
    Holy cow! My left is about double my right... Don't know how that happened...

I noticed you're vegan! May I ask some of your tecniques in avoiding dairy products and what you do to replace them? I've been vegan before when I was younger, but I didn't do it very responsibly. I've been vegetarian for some time now. PM me is you don't mind answering some questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    Holy cow! My left is about double my right... Don't know how that happened...
    Oh, this is so relevant to where I'm at.

I'm in the same place (2-3x production on the left side), but I know exactly how it happened:
    - my sling makes it easier to nurse on the left when in public
    - a shoulder injury makes it more difficult to nurse on the right in bed
    - nursing on the right while sitting up means tying up my right (dominant) hand to hold the baby.

Aside from cosmetic issues (and hey, that breast was bigger to start with anyway), is there really a reason to "fix" the problem if my baby is coping with the letdown and we've got no signs of fore/hindmilk imbalance?

Good question! I hope that this post will bump your question to the top again. Is OALD a bad thing?