Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LO Comfort Nursing me into insanity

Default LO Comfort Nursing me into insanity

Short background...DD is 11 m/o today. Has been cruising for a few weeks now and trying to stand on her own. Last two weeks I chalked irritability up to teething - okay. Early in week was dx'd with heat rash. Thursday night she was running a very slight temperature, we followed Dr's orders: tylenol, cool cloths on head, undressed, nurse lots, etc. Trying to be so sympathetic because she's not feeling well and really cranky and sooooo tired.

Last night we did regular night time routine...she was so tired, she almost fell asleep in the shower with me, and did briefly while daddy got her dried off and dressed. I nursed her, she fell asleep but as I put her in her crib, she woke up screaming. Ok, right boob, repeat. Daddy went in to put her down, and she slept for about 1.5 hrs. Once we went to be, she of course awoke again. Daddy brought her to bed, but she li`terally was attached to my boob from midnight until 5 am, and when I try to unlatch her, she clamps down with those teeth until I give up. If I m successful, it is all the screaming and crying with no calming down again. Daddy tried to calm her down, but I wound up giving other boob again, so there she was latched from 6am to 8am and freaked out again when I tried to unlatch her.

I want to comfort her when it is necessary, but this feels like insanity! She's very demanding, and even at 11 months will pull my shirt down and throw a fit in public if I don't nurse her "right now!" To top it off, I have my mom pressuring me to discipline her, to let her CIO and to consider weaning at this point...it's all just very overwhelming. Help!

Proud mommy to
    Ava

since 9/3/11
    since 11/14/11
    and working on
    and more frequently!

Default Re: LO Comfort Nursing me into insanity

All I know is lots of people around me have been pushing to CIO and weaning and my LO's younger than yours.. I would never CIO, and want to BF at least a year like the AAP says. She's also very demanding, of feedings every hour sometimes, always if we're out in public (of course, ha). It's not easy, thats for sure. You're doing good!

The first thing I think is that you want to let your mom know that she had her chance to raise her children, and this is your chance. So if she wants to offer advice along the lines of "this is what worked for me," fine. But pushing you- that's not appropriate.

I'm sorry your LO is going through a demanding phase. I don't think "discipline", weaning, or CIO are the answer. Your baby is too young for all three of those things. And it sounds like something is going on that requires more from you than you want to give- my money is on teething or illness, perhaps an ear infection.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you both for a reply.

Mommal, it's not that she wants more than I want to give...well maybe? I just feel like I don't know what's wrong, we're both totally sleep deprived, etc...feel like I can't quite think straight. I've never been very good at dealing when my LO screams non-stop and for what seems like any and everything. She is more and more demanding these days, like when I take something away from her that she wants, but isn't safe, etc. I don't care to "discipline" her for things I think she's truly too young to understand, I hate CIO, and have certainly worked too dang hard to wean now, just because others think I should.

I enjoy our nursing relationship, I guess I just feel overwhelmed. I am going back to work in a week, and will really miss our time together, but I think it will be good for her to have fun with her playmates and also to be able to get some sleep and a "regular" routine! Here's hoping it will all get better soon, especially for my sweet angel, because I can't stand to see her so upset

Thanks all for the support!

Proud mommy to
    Ava

since 9/3/11
    since 11/14/11
    and working on
    and more frequently!

You and your DD have had a rough few weeks, but there is light at the end of this tunnel.
    You have been meeting her needs all along, and this will make her a stronger and happier and better adjusted individual.
    lack of sleep has a way of squeezing the joy out of mothering.
    i could not have done it without napping everyday.
    I was lucky b/c even though my own mom did not breastfeed she never let me cry it out.
    And she passed on that wisdom to me and my siblings.
    I know it will be hard to go back to work, but your DD will enjoy the rhythms of a new routine with her day care friends and care givers.
    And who knows, she might be so puckered out at the end of the day that her night time fussiness will be a thing of the past.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Good luck, mama! It's so tough when they are too little to communicate effectively but also big enough to have their own opinions and to make them known very forcefully. It's a phase, though, I promise.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My daughter did this comfort-nursing-all-night thing (not as bad as yours, but close) when she had a cold at 7 months, and again the last few days (9 mo) with a flu. It is frustrating and annoying but at least IME only lasted a couple nights.

This time around it is not as constant, and I found that when I am tired of nursing I can pick her up and put her in the Ergo, and she falls back asleep as I walk around, with minimal fussing. Of course then I'm not sleeping, but at least it's a break for my boobs.

I can't imagine how we would soothe our baby through sickness and hurts if we weren't nursing. It's true that when sick she wants to nurse a lot more, but when she gets better and wakes up smiling I am so grateful that I had this tool to help her through her discomfort/pain. I found that Lansinoh helped my nipples through the comfort nursing. I imagine all the comfort nursing must be related to her temperature and heat rash? I hope she feels better soon.