Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Scrapey Latch

Default Scrapey Latch

Par for the course while teething? Or could it be from a pretty thick upper lip tie? (His top lip curls under while nursing, I know that's not "textbook looking" but it was what worked for us.) I'm just wondering if his lip action is what is making his top teeth rub me raw or if that's normal during teething. Basically, is it always from here on out going to feel this yucky or only while teething? Which is probably going to feel like practically forever, right,
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

Default Re: Scrapey Latch

I noticed it more during teething...and when I asked my local LLL leader she said that the acidity of the saliva from teething could cause some nipple discomfort. Yay. That's how I knew DD was teething again. You know, aside from the fact that she is super irritable. molarsarenofun.
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

My son usually gets scrapey too during teething, but latches well otherwise (but there's no lip tie so I can't speak to that). I have to do a lot of relatching during teething and have even needed to break out the lanolin again a few times during the worst of it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kjohanna View Post
    molarsarenofun.
    Just wait for the canines. Those were somehow even worse for us. Just miserable.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Ugh, that's what my mom said too, about the canines. And of course, when I ask my friends if their babies ever struggled during teething, they look at me like I have two heads. I mean, yeah, my DD seems a little high needs, but come on....it's almost as if they're afraid to admit that their sleeping angels didn't actually sleep through the night during teething. I could be a little bitter, since last night was pretty darn horrible, with the tossing and turning, and crying and nursing non-stop. Sorry. Highjack over.
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!

Oh, duh, I've totally forgotten about lanolin except in the context of wool. May try that. He's doing so much (sloppy) comfort nursing between teeth hurting and all the spills he takes, I think it is time to practice latch a bit.
    Oh boy, I hear ya on the rough nights! F is once again getting impossible to get to sleep (and stay asleep)... this is so much fun.
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

Ha, yeah, I think I would almost take the not staying asleep over not going to sleep at a decent time initially....even if she'll only stay asleep for a half hour to an hour without me, I lose that time to spend with DH if she stays up later....and toothpicks hurt my eyelids too bad to try and stay up even later.