Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tips for storing/transporting pump parts, etc.

Default Tips for storing/transporting pump parts, etc.

Hi everyone. I've just rented a Symphony (for personal comfort reasons, my PIS was making me sore - we'll see if the new pump helps). Obviously I cannot carry around that enormous hard case around. I found our old backpack-style diaper bag it fits nicely in. But now I don't have room for my pump parts (like the top part of the PIS backpack). I used to leave my rinsed-out parts in there to let them dry, the empty bottles, etc. I guess I have to get ANOTHER bag (now I will leave the house with, like, 7 bags) for the pump parts. What works best? A mesh-style "ditty" bag? A plain old ziploc bag? Any tips?

Thanks!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Default Re: Tips for storing/transporting pump parts, etc.

I actually bring my pump parts to work in the same cooler that I bring my milk home in (and bring my lunch to work in). Are you carrying a cooler and could you fit your pump parts in there? I have a tupperware that mine fit perfectly in, but a ziploc bag would work fine too.

Of course, I have a laptop back, a pump bag, a lunch cooler (which isn't that small) and often another misc. bag so I often feel like a mule at work. My coworkers have mentioned that I need a red wagon to come in, but I don't mind. I only pump for a short part of my working life and being a mule is good exercise right?
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!

I take a symphony pump to and from work, but I just carry it in the huge plastic case. I carry my bottle cooler and misc pump supplies (in a ziploc) in a pretty vera bradley tote bag that I substitute as my purse. I have gotten more questions about the huge case - most people assume it is a court reporter's typewriter. This will be my 9th month as a mule - I have PISA, but I would much rather use the symphony since it is quieter and more comfortable. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*persephone-ashes View Post
    I actually bring my pump parts to work in the same cooler that I bring my milk home in (and bring my lunch to work in). Are you carrying a cooler and could you fit your pump parts in there? I have a tupperware that mine fit perfectly in, but a ziploc bag would work fine too.

Of course, I have a laptop back, a pump bag, a lunch cooler (which isn't that small) and often another misc. bag so I often feel like a mule at work. My coworkers have mentioned that I need a red wagon to come in, but I don't mind. I only pump for a short part of my working life and being a mule is good exercise right?
    Thanks for the tips.

Agree! It is good exercise! I actually just ordered an enormous "boat and tote" bag to put all my other bags in! I wonder if it will even fit inside my cubicle...

903 ounces donated.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*asmom811 View Post
    I take a symphony pump to and from work, but I just carry it in the huge plastic case. I carry my bottle cooler and misc pump supplies (in a ziploc) in a pretty vera bradley tote bag that I substitute as my purse. I have gotten more questions about the huge case - most people assume it is a court reporter's typewriter. This will be my 9th month as a mule - I have PISA, but I would much rather use the symphony since it is quieter and more comfortable. Good luck!
    Thanks! Yes, my PISA was really starting to hurt, for some reason. I decided to rent a Symphony for a week to see if it helped - so far, it really has! Knock on wood...

903 ounces donated.

I washed my parts at work and kept them there.
    Last edited by @llli*jenna562; August 3rd, 2012 at 03:17 PM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*asmom811 View Post

i left the symphony in my cube M-F and used my PISA at home during the week, but otherwise my scenario was like this.... oh and no matter what I still had to haul everything across the parking lot to another bldg where the pump room is three times a day mule was definitely how I felt
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    I washed my parts at work and kep them there.
    Oooh - didn't think about that. Good tip.

903 ounces donated.

I leave my pump, and my hands-free pumping bustier in my office (as well as lanolin, breast pads, hand sanitizer, tissues, grapefruit seed extract, and a big bar of chocolate , and take the bottles and actual pump parts (in a ziploc bag) home every night. I have a PIS and found the whole unit to be a bit much to lug back and forth on the subway every day. I carry a separate tote (a LLL tote, as a matter of fact with the little cooler and pump parts back and forth. Every night, the parts get a wash (or a good hot rinse) and dry overnight. They go into a clean Ziploc and I'm good to go in the morning, without looking like a pack-mule
    Oh, and as for pumping at home, should the need arise, I use the Medela hand pump, which has saved my life a few times. Good luck!
    So proud to be Avery's mama 12/26/11