Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to Pump Wean

Default How to Pump Wean

Can someone share their strategy for how to pump wean after one year?

I'm away from DD for 9 hours 5 days a week. I currently pump 4 times per day and get about 9 oz total per day which she gets at daycare the next day. We nurse on demand at home including at night.

She loves self feeding on solids and seems to eat a lot of calories that way!

How do I ease into the change?

I definitely want to keep BFing!

Default Re: How to Pump Wean

It's best to take it slow when you pump wean. I dropped one pumping session at a time and moved the remaining sessions so that they were equally spaced throughout the day. I would give at least a week in between dropping sessions to make sure you don't have problems with engorgement, plugged ducts, etc.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thank you. So if skipping a pumping session means I have 2.5oz less to send to daycare the next day, she just gets one less bottle right? No need to add in cow's milk? We're assuming she eats solids happily and is healthy etc and over a year old of course.

So that would mean after about a month when I have phased out all my pumping sessions she gets no breast milk during the day while i'm gone?

As long as you're nursing 3-5 times a day there is no need to replace the breastmilk with a milk alternative. A child over one should be fine with water and solids during the day. Of course you CAN add milk or milk alternative if you wish, but it's not necessary.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My son just gets water when I'm gone, but nurses about 6x while I'm home with him on work days/nights. It's totally up to you whether you give cow's milk or not.

You might be able to go a little quicker with the pump weaning once you drop your first session and feel things out, but I tend to get pluggy so I went super slow with it.

Awesome feedback. Thank you.

It's just crazy to think there will be a time when she can go 9 hours a day without nursing!! For so long, my milk was ALL she got! But it makes sense since she's eating food.

I'm not crazy about giving cow's milk due to all the hormones given to cows, and soy milk plays with hormones too. I drink almond milk with my cereal. But I feel like she'll be able to get all the nutrients she needs from foods and the liquids are about hydration, so water is probably best.

I don't really get engorged often (just on the occasions when she sleeps through the night) and have only had one plugged duct so far, so I might go faster. Will play it by ear.

It's so scary that I'll loose my supply entirely... but I know I can always bump it back up.

Thanks again!

As long as your daughter is over a year old, it's very unlikely that you will lose your supply entirely. Good luck and enjoy your liberation from the pump!

How old is baby?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!