Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Aching, Tingling and Pain

Default Aching, Tingling and Pain

My little bit turned 9mo yesterday (YAY) and I'm still bf in the a.m and pumping at work and before bed. At last evening's pump session I got a severe ache/pain in one breast. It was so sensitive I barely managed the pump on lowest setting. This a.m. bf was fine, but still had a constant ache. At morning pump session had crazy ache and pain again. I tried a hot compress and massage for awhile and finally was able to pump. Now I'm having crazy tingles and "zinging" pain (if that makes sense). My next session is at 2 so not sure if it's psychosomatic where I'm dreading the pain or…?

Has anyone else had a ache like this? There's no hard spots or red spots. Just a dull ache with occasional "zings." I haven't had any trauma or anything recently and Little Bit only got his first tooth yesterday (another Yay!) so I don't think it's scratched or anything. Any advice is welcome-thanks!
    First time Mom • Theron James born 11-1-11 @ 37wks via C-Section • Livin' lovin' life and looking for support and advice!

Default Re: Aching, Tingling and Pain

Is the pain in the breast, or the nipple?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have been having similar pain and came here to do some looking around for answers before I posted a question! Sometimes my "burning" pain in my breasts (not nipples) is when I'm pumping, sometimes it's when I'm nursing, and sometimes I'm not doing anything at all and I'll get a pain. I'm curious as well!

Irishlake, your pain sounds like it's either thrush or bacterial in nature- the "burning" sensation in the breast after feedings is pretty classic. However, it might also be the sensation of letdown or of milk ducts refilling. Many moms describe that as a tingling sensation, which might feel burning in some circumstances.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't think it's thrush, we don't have any other symptoms. It's doesn't hurt, per say, and it only lasts a few seconds. And it's a different feeling than my usual let-down, which is more of a pressure. I guess I could call it tingling instead of burning. It's not consistent at all. It's been 2 or 3 days since I felt it last. But earlier this week seems like I felt it 3 or 4 times on Monday.

Mommal-yesterday afternoon a red bump finally appeared right near the nipple so it actually was a clogged duct afterall. The pain was so insane it took me by surprise and I panicked :-)

Irishlake-I have a sensation that sounds just like what you're describing. It happens at weird times and the only thing I can figure out it is is the "refill." I don't feel the let down, just the afterwards "refill." Sounds funny but my friend has the same thing. Sometimes its right after feeding, or an hour later, or two hours. And not every day. It is really rare now but still "zings" every now and then.

Thank you everyone. It's so comforting knowing you're there for ny freak-outs :-)
    First time Mom • Theron James born 11-1-11 @ 37wks via C-Section • Livin' lovin' life and looking for support and advice!