Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost time to wean, but I get plugged ducts easily. How?

Default Almost time to wean, but I get plugged ducts easily. How?

My baby is nearing 12 months, which is when I'd like to wean. One side of my breast EASILY plugs up when she doesn't empty the breast. How do I wean without getting a clogged duct or an infection?

Default Re: Almost time to wean, but I get plugged ducts easily. How

How are you planning on weaning? How do you think your baby will react?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

The key to weaning without getting clogged ducts is to back off nursing SLOOOOOOWLY. Drop one feeding, then wait a day or two, rinse/repeat. If you get a clog, you may want to reintroduce a nursing session to clear it up before moving on.

No pressure, but I weaned from the pump (at work) around a year but continued to nurse my baby more on my own terms for another year and a half after that. After a year, if you want to just nurse before bed or in the morning, but no other times, you can do that. So it doesn't have to be all or nothing. If you and your baby enjoy nursing, you can keep it up as long as you want, but you don't have to feel like it needs to be "on demand" after a year, you know? I never planned to nurse past a year, but I found toddler nursing to be really enjoyable, myself.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Going slow, that's the key to a trouble-free weaning. A lot of moms think that weaning has to be kind of abrupt- one day you're nursing lot, the next day you're going cold turkey with engorged and aching breasts. But if you drop one feeding at a time and allow the process to play out over a few weeks (or a few months or even years!) you're much less likely to get plugs or become troublesomely engorged.

Of course there's no pressure from us to nurse into the toddler years, but if you have any interest or are just curious what it might be like, let us know and we'll give you the sales pitch!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The reason I asked about what you had planned was that I'm wondering if you are ok taking several months to accomplish it. Also if you baby nurses to sleep etc and what the reaction is when you don't.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I was planning on taking a few weeks to wean. I only do 4 nursings a day. Baby definitely prefers my milk to the bottle, but she's fine when a baby sitter feeds a bottle when I'm gone. I think she'll adjust quickly and easily to being weened. She has 2 and 3-year-old siblings so she's pretty distracted.

As for skipping a feeding to ween, I'm guaranteed to get a plugged duct on the first skipped feeding.

Sorry, everybody, I don't want to nurse after she's one (except for the weening period for a few weeks)!

Well, massaging your breasts and doing hand expression in lieu of a feeding might help ward off clogs, but it took me more than a month to pump wean (even though I was still nursing evenings and nights) because I'm very prone to clogs as well. If you get clogged ducts that easily, you may want to budget more time for the weaning process. It's hard to be patient but that's the best way to go.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

It may take way more than a few weeks to wean if you are prone to plugs. It may be more like months where you start spreading your feeding out a bit more until you can drop one, then work on the next.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Have you always only done only 4 nursings a day or did you use to do more? If the latter, then you're really already started the weaning process. How did your body adjust to those dropped sessions (or is that how you know you're very prone to clogged ducts?)? Unfortunately, there really isn't any trick to it. There are some things you can do to ease the discomfort if you're getting engorged due to a skipped feeding, but beyond that, the best advice really is just to do it slowly. That's not a sales pitch for nursing longer, it's just the best advice if you're trying to avoid the plugged ducts, unfortunately. Good luck!!