Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sizing Parts Properly?

Default Sizing Parts Properly?

Hey all,

I'm getting confused about sizing of flanges - I'm experiencing some soreness, and today actually found a rub on the side of the nipple where actual skin has rubbed off (ouch). In the past I sized down to the small size flanges for a while, but am now back up to mediums. I'm confused as to whether I should try moving up or down or whether this is another issue completely - I've looked at the pictures that medela offers as a guide and none of them really "look" like the issue I'm having.

*Before pumping* the fit looks like the "breastshield is too big" picture. But *while* pumping (which is what they say to go on), everything gets sucked up into the flange including probably 95% of the areola, though the nipple itself doesn't fill up the flange, which doesn't look like any of the pictures. Should I move down again? I went back up because of soreness in the first place, so now I'm just really confused.

(at one point I thought maybe it was thrush or somethign causing the soreness, but a 1 week break from pumping cured it completely, and after a week back pumping, I can feel it coming back, so I think it's related to that)

Default Re: Sizing Parts Properly?

while you are pumping does your nipple rub the sides of the flange? if so size up if not, GOOD!

I had to use two different sizes one breast was a larger flange than the other
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

The nipple itself doesn't rub up against the side (nowhere close, in fact)...

Yet I have skin rubbed off around the base of the nipple/areola area and am getting sore again... hence my confusion! Maybe I'm just sensitive... heh.

try some olive oil or nipple cream prior to pumping, also is the pain/irritation the same on both breasts?

was your nipple rubbing on the smaller horns?
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

did you see the ameda pictures? those were way more helpful to me

http://www.ameda.com/breast-pumping/...w-can-i-get-it
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Oh, thank you, those are more helpful.

I may actually have to move up, even though the nipples don't touch the sides - what I'm seeing looks more like the "too tight" picture though the end of the nipple is teeny and nowhere close to taking up the space in the tunnel (it's like the area around the base of the nipple into the areola that's in there, rubbing against the sides). I'm worried about having too much areola sucked in with a bigger one, but it may turn out to be more comfortable to I'll try it.

!!! KUP
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Goldentoes - I FEEL YOUR PAIN - literally! And I wish I had an answer for you I used my PIS with DS all the time for almost a year with no problems at all. Now, all of a sudden, I'm having the exact discomfort you describe now that I am pumping at work for DD. I tried every size horn (flange) and eventually stuck with the 27mm (Medela) that I was using before. Like you, my nipple looks fine before I start pumping, but swells considerably while pumping. The nipple itself is not rubbing against the sides, per se, but also like you, a good portion of the areola is rubbing and that is what is sore (where the nipple transitions to the areola). I tried going up in size, going down - everything hurt worse. I recently met with the lactation department at the hospital (where my kids were born and where I work) and the LC checked out my pump and confirmed it was working fine. She also felt my horns fit fine. She had no real answers - although I think I might have some Raynaud's/vasospasms in addition to the irritation.

All I can tell you is that rubbing a little olive oil on my nipples before pumping helps a little, and I apply heat after pumping (http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/booby-tubes.html). When I met with the LC she also hooked me up to a Medela Sympony (hospital grade) which I found to be smoother and more gentle. Considering DS is only 4 months old and I have a lot of pumping at work ahead of me, I'm going to rent one this weekend and try it for a week to see if the discomfort stops. Like you mentioned, nursing doesn't hurt - just the pumping.

Sorry - I wish I had an answer, but definately try olive oil. Do you have a PIS? If so, maybe try the 27mm if you haven't already? Try "Pumpin' Pals?" Wish I had answers. It's just so strange because I didn't have this problem at all with DS. I don't know why all of a sudden.

Good luck and let us know if you find a solution!!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

yep, it's a PISA.

The 27 mm is the next size up, so I will try and pick those up tonight or tomorrow and see how it goes. And DEFINITE thanks everybody on the olive oil tip, that makes a lot of sense. Really don't want to be peeling skin off my nipples anymore.

(sometimes I can't believe the stuff I have to think about now in life. If you told me two years ago I'd ever be asking questions online about peeling skin off my nipples I'd have run away screaming. hahaha!)

I should only be using a 27, but a 36 is way, way more comfortable for me. Keep messing with it, and don't be afraid to go up or down as you FEEL fit, not based on any photo!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!