Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 week old sleeping too much?

Default 10 week old sleeping too much?

Hey all!

First, thanks so much to all of you that have replied to my threads with awesome suggestions and answers. This forum is a great resource for new moms, like me!

My 10 week old started sleeping at least 5 (or even 6) hours during the night and early morning. She usually goes to sleep (or I nurse to sleep) around 10pm and the past 2 weeks she doesn't wake up until around 4am to eat. This morning I woke up around 3:45 and since she looked like was getting hungry I just picked her up and basically woke her up.

After she eats, she goes right back to sleep... around 4:30am. She doesn't wake up again until maybe 8:30 or 9 after that.

She is getting her diapers wet and dirty normally, but this sleeping pattern now makes her eat maybe 6 or 7 times in 24 hours, which I am not sure is right for a 10 week old!

Should I start waking her up at least once more during the night so she can eat a little more? I stopped doing that way back and just feed her on demand.

Thank you! and I probably will post another question in a different thread just to keep the subjects separated

Default Re: 10 week old sleeping too much?

Hello! I would think at 10 weeks it would be OK to let her sleep as long as she wants to at night, BUT nursing just 6 or 7 times in 24 hours is a little on the lower end. Could you feed her more during the day? Or, just keep doing those "dreamfeeds" where you pick her up from sleeping, nurse her, then let her go right back to sleep. I'm sure others will chime in...
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Default Re: 10 week old sleeping too much?

I'm working during the day, so feeding more will mean that I have to pump extra to accomodate an extra feeding during the day...
    Yesterday afternoon and evening she ate pretty good, about 3 or 4 times, so that summed up to about 9 feedings. Maybe it was just that day that she decided to sleep more...