Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: back to work AND HOW MUCH BABY SHOULD EAT

Default back to work AND HOW MUCH BABY SHOULD EAT

so i Am back to work and i leave at least four 3oz bottles in the frig. with my Husband the day.. LO (8 weeks old) eats about an ounce or ounce and a half every hour to hour an a half... during the evenings that i'm away she eats 3oz in one sitting. usually 2 of those in a 4 hour stretch. how do you know how much she should be eating? what's too much? what is the best way to warm the bottles from the frig?

Default Re: back to work AND HOW MUCH BABY SHOULD EAT

Baby should take 1 to 1.5 oz per hour of separation.

I feed cold milk myself. Warm is only for from the tap
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I warm the bottle in a bowl of hot water.

Here's my opinion - baby will eat as much as she needs either way.
    Had Bradley wanderbaby #1 on 5/9/09, bf 10 months before let-down problems drove us both crazy and we had to stop. Wanderbaby #2 born 6/9/12 (in a wheelchair - we made it to the hospital with 4 minutes to spare!).
    Currently due 5/13 and at work, waiting for supply problems to force us to formula. Need lots of
    Doing one parent/one language with our bilingual bebitas.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wandermami View Post
    I warm the bottle in a bowl of hot water.

Here's my opinion - baby will eat as much as she needs either way.
    Actually a bottle fed baby can be over fed and they often are by caretakers that just assume that if a baby continues to drink, the must be hungry. Causing a huge waste of the precious pumped milk. Just because a breastfed baby WILL drink a bottle doesn't mean that they NEED that much. It's best to not leave more than 1.5 oz for every hour you are away. And Leave those in 2-3oz portions so that none has to be wasted.

Way too lazy for formula

well, thanks ladies.. I asked my caretakers... (my DH and my dad) to write down what she has been eating.. and well, she seems to be doing ok.. I think they were not exactly keeping track of time. so when i asked about her day. welllll, they didn't have accurate info to give me until i asked them to starting writing her feeding times down and how much she was eating. it seems she is right on track.

Great! It's normal for babies to be fussy in the evenings and doesn't necessarily mean they're hungry. If you feel like she's taking more than she should at those times, your caretakers can try walking with her, shushing in her ear, swaddling, etc. and that may do the trick without tons of milk.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.