Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with daycare provider clueless about breastmilk

Question Help with daycare provider clueless about breastmilk

Hi there, I am new to these boards but over the past several weeks i have visited often and lingered in teh shadows! Let me start with a short intro before diving in to my vent session! I have 2 beautiful children, my first son was born in November2010 and was BF until 8 months old. I lost my entire freezer supply d/t poor milk bag storage and so from 6-8 months was pumping day to day/overnight before the stress of that finally became too much! My second was born June of this year, she is a beautiful little girl who weighed 7.9 and was 19 inches long and I am still fortunate enough to be BF her. She has been in daycare for 2 weeks and I'm having some struggles with her provider understanding how BM works! I can only assume that most of the children that have come to her daycare as well as her own 4 children, have been on formula as she appears clueless every week about something different. My son did go to the same place but didn't start till about 4 months old and i vaguely remember my struggles with getting her to understand breastmilk, why he ate so often, why he didn't take much per feeding etc.
    ANYWAYS So she was doing just fine until this past monday....all weekend my daughter wanted to eat, eat and eat. I assume shes having a growth spurt and just fed her on demand. ( she only gets a bottle at daycare, i nurse on demand at home) So monday comes and I get a text about 130 that she had been eating 3 oz every 1.5 hours and that she thought she should be getting like 4 oz at each sitting. I stated it was probably the continuation of the growth spurt and that if she was truly needing more at each sitting...she would be looking for it immediately or within 15 minutes of the last bottle emptying. I advised her to continue with the 3 oz and i would "double check" with her doc. I spoke to the doc yesterday morning at her 2 month checkup who stated 3 oz sounded perfect and that sometiems she would need more or less than that and it would just be a matter of adjusting as the days went. yesterday her weight was up to 11.8 and she is now 23.25 inches long and so obviously doing just fine! He advised not to feed more than the 3 oz unless she still appeared hungry right after the bottle. so i explain this to her last night and she just says okay.
    Today shes telling me how another baby that is due to start going there soon is already up to 3 oz and he's only 6 weeks old....i say well what is he getting 3 oz of? OH formula. I then tried to explain how she cannot compare the 2, how different they are and how he will always take more formula than my daughter will of breastmilk. i don't think she gets it....I am trying to find some info online that i can print out for her to read and so she can understands 1. why breastmilk and formula cannot be compared 2. why breastfed babies eat less at each feeding and more often than formula babies. I cannot access kellymom at work but i assume maybe there is something on there i can print out for her!
    It is every frustrating to constantly be interigated about this and that and i feel like she thinks i have no idea what i am talking about. I am pumping and storing but am only ahead by about 1-2 days and so def don't need to stress that she is going to overfeed this little girl cause she thinks she needs more. (my daughter has soy/dairy intolerance that we did not discover till she was 5 weeks old) so all the milk i stockpiled had to be tossed! I am happy and proud that i have been doing this well with nothing to fall back on! anyways that is my long story and vent session! thanks for reading and i look forward to anything you have to offer!! sorry if i am all over the palce or not making sense either!!! 2 under 2 is causing super mom fog brain!

Default Re: Help with daycare provider clueless about breastmilk

Sorry! Kellymom does have a good handout for bottle feeding you can give to caregivers. Here's the link so you can access it when you get home and print it out for her.

This first one talks about how much milk will the baby need:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

And here's the paced bottle feeding sheet:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Sorry you are going through this!

How do you like your dcp otherwise? Does she seem genuinely concerned about your LO's well-being or more so about the additional inconvenience to herself iykwim?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Sorry! Kellymom does have a good handout for bottle feeding you can give to caregivers. Here's the link so you can access it when you get home and print it out for her.

great info there! Good luck mama.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post

thank you, I had my DH print these out from work for me as we don't have a printer at home. I put them in LO daycare bag yesterday but forgot to mention it to her before i left. She said this morning that she had started to read them and so I'm hoping that it will help make things a little more clear for her. I did explain the calculation of ounces and how we were right on point and she seemed to like having that clear cut model to figure it out. Also when she brought up, yet again, how she probably gets more than 3 ounces from my breast nursing...i nicely just said that even if that were the case, she still nurses every 2 hours at home and so that proves it makes no difference in how spaced they are. I also explained how i was lucky to pump 2 ounces per side in a session and so she was like OH so yeh then she isn't taking more than that.....well i know that to not be true but if that helps her think so then perfect! anyways thanks for the links!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*molly.b View Post
    Sorry you are going through this!

How do you like your dcp otherwise? Does she seem genuinely concerned about your LO's well-being or more so about the additional inconvenience to herself iykwim?
    Thank you. She is mostly a great provider, we have had our challenges and times of frustration with some of her seemingly "airy" moments but overall I trust my kids in her home. I do feel that she truly cares for them and is looking out for their best interest. Part of me thinks that she truly lacks ANY knowledge on the differences between breastmilk and formula and just feels they are one in the same. So i think that in her mind if she is eating every 1.5-2 hours then that says that she isn't getting enough in a session and needs more food. I think she is just stuck in old school, formula mode and not sure if anything i say or provide will get that out of her head.