Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: just started back to work, worried im not making enough milk

Default just started back to work, worried im not making enough milk

hello ladies. i have been back to work for 3 weeks now. i work 5 to 8 hour days. i try to pump 2-3 times while i am away. i use a medela double pump. i worry that i'm not pumping enough. i notice as the week goes on.. the amount i can pump goes down. my LO is 8 weeks old. i leave 3oz bottles. so when i can't pump 3 oz between both breasts everytime, i get nervous. at the beginning of the week i can.. but towards the end of the week.. i get under 3 oz. i only nurse when im home. and i try to find time to hang out skin to skin(at least once a week). at the end of my work week (sat) LO seems to have to nurse more often to get what she needs. by tuesday, when is go back to work... my supply seems to be back to LO needs.. am i doing something wrong? how can i keep supply up while pumping.. my goal is to never give my girl formula.. so i want this to work for at least a year. looking foward to your advice...

Default Re: just started back to work, worried im not making enough

This sort of thing is pretty common. Over the weekend, when you're home all day, baby easily maintains your supply where she needs it to be. So on Monday, you have plenty of milk and easily fill up the bottles. But as the week goes on, your supply drops because the pump isn't as good at maintaining supply as the baby is. That means that as the week goes on, the baby nurses more often, trying to get supply back to where she needs it to be.

Can you add in more pumping sessions while at work?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I can def try to add another session each day.. i think i will try that this week and see if it helps. thanks..

Pretty common. Add in a session if you can, such as car pumping on the way to work or even grab just 5 minutes before going home.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!