Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping once enough?

Talking Pumping once enough?

I'm going to be away from my EBF baby for 4 1/2 hours a day, 4 days a week when I go back to school in a month. I get a one hour break to pump during the time I'm gone. I'm worried that won't be enough to keep a good supply for baby. My 5 1/2 month old usually nurses every hour or so, (she comfort nurses). I'm also concerned with getting a stash saved in the freezer, she may not even take a bottle when I leave her with one because she often refuses but do I need to get one going anyways? Or will what I pump each day during that break I get be enough? I can usually get around 2 or 3 total oz. Thank you for your help

Default Re: Pumping once enough?

Well, every mom I have worked with who tried pumping just once in a typical 8 hour day ended up with low supply. However, if you are gone for 5 hours and can pump once while gone, you should be fine.

She should only need 1 to 1.5 oz per hour of separation.

To save up a few ounces, try pumping just before you nurse or pump one side and nurse the other.

Whether or not you can pump enough during that one session depends on your production level and response to the pump. You may find you need to pump a bit at home if you can't.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you

If once doesn't work for you, you could try pumping on your commute to or from work (I'm a big fan of pumping in the car, myself ). But I think it will probably be sufficient since your hours are short and you'll be nursing the rest of the day/evening/night.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I work 5 hours every evening and can only pump once at work. That one pumping covers one of his meals while I'm gone, but I had to add in an extra session to get enough for his 2 meals he takes while I'm gone; I work retail...so I bought a $20 manual that I take with me and use if we happen to be slow and I can sneak in an 'extra' at work, and I've learned how to use it one-handedly so can I pump on the way home from work, then pump the other breast after I'm home before I clean my electric pump parts and head to bed. (I've also used it when I've gotten to work early and pumped in the car before I started my shift)

I know manuals aren't as effective and whatnot, but I've found it to be really useful! It makes it easy if you need an extra couple ounces and don't want to fuss with plugs, set-up, etc.
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

This is some good advice, I have 2 pumps one is a one sided battery or wall plug medela. The other is a medela double pump that only has a wall plug. I'm totally going to pump in the car that's a good way to utilize that time thanks!! I'm always so concerned with my supply, I "know" it's adequate but I'm just so paranoid with when a little time goes by without nursing that my supply will dip and it will be hard to get back. Thanks again