Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby won't take bottle, going back to school

Default Baby won't take bottle, going back to school

I need help! First this is my baby: EBF 5 1/2 month old, sometimes takes maybe a half oz or so of bm from a bottle and sometimes refuses completely. No paci used, She will eat some Baby food (I've tried giving her some already I know it's a little early but she did well) anyways, I start school in one month and I will be gone from 10:30-3:00 MTWF my biggest question is what if she refuses to drink while I'm away? I'm so scared she's just going to cry in hunger while I'm gone. I suppose I just need a little reassurance that she will live without me for 4 1/2 hrs.....I hardly ever get a sitter because i always get the call saying she needs me! she eats very often during the day when she's not napping she usually eats every hour or so she's a HUGE comfort nurser. :'(

Default Re: Baby won't take bottle, going back to school

Could you have lipase?

But a baby that age doesn't need a bottle. You could use a sippy or even an open cup.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I thought of lipase too, I'm not sure. I will have to see, and I also bought a sippy the other day and haven't tried it yet it's 4m+ so I will have to try that thanks

I am so glad you posted this. I am having some of the same experiences with my daughter. She is 12 weeks old and will not take a bottle and is a huge comfort nurser. What is lipase???

I fed my 3 month old from a sippy for a while post-op, when he wasn't allowed to use a bottle (and he was unable to nurse).

Lipase is an enzyme present in milk that helps digest the fats. It is unclear as to whether or not some mothers' pumped milk has an excess of this enzyme or if it is activated more easily by pumping, but either way, the enzyme starts breaking down fats, asking the milk taste really bad. Some babies dont care for it and will refuse to drink expressed milk.

To decide if you have lipase, pump milk. Taste it immediately. Then store it, tasting it every few hours and noting if the flavor changes to soapy, metallic, vomit-y, aftertaste. If it does, you have lipase. You will need to either feed pumped milk before it starts turning (or figure out how far along in the process your baby starts refusing the milk) or scald it to kill the enzyme before storing.

It is also possible your baby doesn't like that bottle. My third baby didn't like bottles, period. There was only one bottle he ever took, and it took me weeks to find it. He very quickly started with a cup, and it was such a hassle I quit sending milk with him to his T daycare at like 8-9 months, as he was only there for 4 hours a week anyway.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I agree that my baby may not like the bottle, we are using tommee tippee's (well trying) and I've also tried a playtex nurser bottle. Both are slow flow. Anyway it would be fine with me if she didn't ever have to have a bottle! I actually got a little jealous watching her drink from the bottle the very few times she accepted it from my husband. I only want her to be "okay" while I'm gone and nursed immediately when I return. I just hope it works out that way and I guess I'll have to see!! Going back to school is important to me cuz I have another 4 years ahead, but BF my girl is honestly what I would choose if I had to.