Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping Logistics

Default Pumping Logistics

I will be returning to work as a high school teacher in two weeks. My son will be 6 months old. So far, we have done two half-day and one full-day trial, and everything has gone well with the baby and with pump output. My question is about making the process of pumping as efficient as possible. I'm hoping some of you can walk me through your specific logistics of getting the pump set up and then put away (and milk stored) multiple times a day. For example, what parts of the pump can stay assembled? What needs to go in the fridge and is it possible to put the whole PISA bag in there? Can I pump into the same bottles I have already used at a previous session, or do I need to use different bottles each time? I am lucky that my school will arrange coverage for me to pump at the times I need to, but I want to help out my colleagues by being as fast as possible! Thanks for sharing your suggestions and experiences.

Default Re: Pumping Logistics

You can put your bottles, flanges, tubes, etc. in a ziploc bag together still set up, put that in the fridge and then pump into those bottles again. If you're going to do that, I might use some larger bottles so you don't have to worry about over-filling them. You can just bring it home and wash it at the end of the day.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

for me I left everything assembled and just removed the tubes, I put everything else into the fridge I had a large square Tupperware container and put that inside a soft sided cooler type bag in the fridge, I only put it in the cooler bag to 'hide' the contents... in all my pumping I only had the setup knocked over once, upon which I labeled the bag as breast milk ans from then on no one knocked it over
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I always put my milk into one bottle and then screwed on a dry bottle onto the other flange (or whatever part you screw the bottle onto) and kept the pump basically assembled. I used paper towels inside the horns so it wouldn't drip or get my bag wet. I know you're trying to be as fast as possible, but it's also important to be able to relax if possible, while you pump. If you're stressed out it's going to be hard to get as much milk out.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I skip the fridge part. The ice pack in my PISA cooler keeps it cold all day. If it is especially hot in Texas, I switch ice packs right before heading home. This means I am disassembling the bottles each time, but the kitchen is in an inconvenient location for me. I've gotten quick with screwing on the bottles. I just quickly wipe the other parts.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Agree with the PP. You'll find a routine that works for you. For what it's worth, when I'm pumping at home I put the whole setup (bottles and horns) in a bag in the fridge. Then I just remove, attach to tubes, and pump. Using larger bottles helps with this. At work I don't have a large fridge, so I do remove the bottles and just rinse out the horns and stuff with water. But still, using the larger bottles also helps cut down on all the bottles at the end of the day! I also wash everything (except the little white membranes) in the dishwasher (sterilization cycle) each night so this cuts down on washing and microwave sterilizing. And depending upon what bottles you are using to feed, you might be able to pump into the same bottles you feed from.

Also - I highly recommend pumping and driving. If you can pump on the way to work it will help. It's easy - just get all set up with the pump (using a car adapter), put on a nursing cover, strap on your seatbelt, then go!

Congrats on keep up nursing while working. You can do it!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

I also used my ice pack and just brought the whole pump bag back into my office.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Thank you for the suggestions! I wasn't sure if it was safe to refrigerate the full set up, with milk, and then pump fresh milk into the refrigerated milk, but it sounds like it's fine? And okay to not rinse the parts until I'm home for the night? I need to get some bigger bottles...

yes yes and yes.... I kept two sets of horns/bottles so I could run them through the dishwasher each night and have a fresh set ready for the next day
    Last edited by @llli*lidarln; July 31st, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Yes, having two sets of horns, etc. is really helpful because you always have a clean set when one is in use or needs to be cleaned.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135