Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woe is me - trying to keep supply up with 6 mo twins

Default Re: Woe is me - trying to keep supply up with 6 mo twins

Ah - the dreaded Barbie. I'm not going to feel too sorry for you. I have three boys!

I tend to pump for too long probably. It's my computer time and I get a little carried away at times. 30 minutes maybe?

Today I didn't top them off after two of their feedings which was a big step. Only 5 ounces left in the freezer. Wondering if I'm going to make them go cold turkey or let some formula in for the time being. Started a little rice cereal yesterday (which they loathed) so the sunshiny poops will be a thing of the past anyway, I suppose.

Ped has generally been reasonably supportive of breastfeeding up to this point. He's middle of the road, I suppose. He has a preemie himself and I know his wife is pumping. He's right across the street, takes our insurance (good doctors here in NYC don't tend to take any insurance), is affiliated with a great hospital and doesn't have a hateful bedside manner. So he's a keeper, for better or for worse.

Would love to hear what you have to say about solids, obviously.

I really can't express how helpful you've been...

Ah - the dreaded Barbie. I'm not going to feel too sorry for you. I have three boys!

Thanks! I really appreciate that!

I tend to pump for too long probably. It's my computer time and I get a little carried away at times. 30 minutes maybe?

So, do you get more than one let-down during that time? The recommendations from LLLI are (once milk supply increases, 3-5 days after birth) "to pump long enough so that two minutes pass after the last drop of milk. Although this may take 20-30 minutes, it drains the breasts more quickly, helping to establish supply." This recommendation is for the early days. They suggest that you don't need to pump as much or as often once supply is established. I think you are falling in the category of established, but falling supply.

So, then the recommendation is: "If a mother notices a decrease in her supply, encourage her to express her milk for longer periods and more frequently."

You seem to be fitting this bill pretty well, I would say. Does this info confuse you even more? It kind of does me a little...

Ped has generally been reasonably supportive of breastfeeding up to this point. He's middle of the road, I suppose. He has a preemie himself and I know his wife is pumping. He's right across the street, takes our insurance (good doctors here in NYC don't tend to take any insurance), is affiliated with a great hospital and doesn't have a hateful bedside manner. So he's a keeper, for better or for worse.

Yes, good ped. is a keeper in my book as well!

Today I didn't top them off after two of their feedings which was a big step. Only 5 ounces left in the freezer. Wondering if I'm going to make them go cold turkey or let some formula in for the time being. Started a little rice cereal yesterday (which they loathed) so the sunshiny poops will be a thing of the past anyway, I suppose.

That was very brave of you! How did they seem? How do you think it went? Are you going to pump this evening? If you do you should still have some milk if needed, right? So you wouldn't necessarily have to use the formula. I'm I correct?

How are they with sitting up and grasping things? Interested? You could try giving them some real soft small pieces of banana or cooked sweet potato to play with. They might enjoy that more...just a suggestion. At their age they are so ready to try to experiment on their own. They might appreciate the fun-factor!

Enough to think about for now...I will check back with some more ideas and to get your update!

You are doing great!

I really can't express how helpful you've been...

It is MY pleasure!

So, the solids thing... I understand why you were asking. I think that you were hoping that if they were going to be starting solids anyway, that those extra calories would help off-set what they seemingly weren't getting in BM. I believe you already know the answer to that. The bottom line is that at this young age they would just not be getting that much to make a difference. You would have to really shovel it in, which I know you are not doing! And even then, BM has more calories than formula or any solid you could offer. As I said previously, they should just be experimenting with solids and if the extra food were to begin displacing BM we would be concerned. In a normal situation we would suggest a mom back off on the solids to increase supply. So, your situation is not the same, obviously, but similar. We still don't want them taking too much of anything else that would cause them to not be hungry to nurse. Make any sense?

I can see your instincts are good on all of this! Just trust yourself and the babies and you will do great!

OK day 2 without having to hit the freezer. I don't know if my supply went up or if a growth spurt ended but I finished their day again without having to hit that lone, crinkly paltry frozen bag. Phew. I'm still pumping like a crazy person during every free moment but for now I'm happy. They did get quite a few bottles today because I had things to do with the big guy. I guess you can't have/do it all. Someone suggested that I bring the rental pump on vacation. Do you think it'll cause security issues? The thing does look a little bombish actually. Is that nuts?

So these babies just HATE the solids thing. It's been 3 or 4 days now and they gave the concept a resounding thumbs down. Do I continue to try every day or take some time off and try again? I'm surprised. These guys are huge bruisers and I thought they'd be all over it. Now you suggested the sweet potato or banana thing. They couldn't choke on those? No way they could gum off a chunk? They are world class rollers but sitting up doesn't seem to be around the corner. They're very good with their hands.

For the record I didn't say that our ped was great. Just not totally bad. But why would he be talking about the decreasing benefits of breastfeeding after 6 months? He did his residency at Columbia. Is that what they teach them?

Thanks in advance for reading my endless whining! Breastfeeding really does something to your brain. I think that formula is fine. I think that people who formula feed their children are fine. I was a terrible eater while I was pregnant and am not so great now. So I find it to be so funny that I'd rather put needles in my eyes than offer formula right now. Just an aside...

Quote Originally Posted by Monk
    OK day 2 without having to hit the freezer. I don't know if my supply went up or if a growth spurt ended but I finished their day again without having to hit that lone, crinkly paltry frozen bag. Phew. I'm still pumping like a crazy person during every free moment but for now I'm happy. They did get quite a few bottles today because I had things to do with the big guy. I guess you can't have/do it all. Someone suggested that I bring the rental pump on vacation. Do you think it'll cause security issues? The thing does look a little bombish actually. Is that nuts?

So these babies just HATE the solids thing. It's been 3 or 4 days now and they gave the concept a resounding thumbs down. Do I continue to try every day or take some time off and try again? I'm surprised. These guys are huge bruisers and I thought they'd be all over it. Now you suggested the sweet potato or banana thing. They couldn't choke on those? No way they could gum off a chunk? They are world class rollers but sitting up doesn't seem to be around the corner. They're very good with their hands.

For the record I didn't say that our ped was great. Just not totally bad. But why would he be talking about the decreasing benefits of breastfeeding after 6 months? He did his residency at Columbia. Is that what they teach them?

Thanks in advance for reading my endless whining! Breastfeeding really does something to your brain. I think that formula is fine. I think that people who formula feed their children are fine. I was a terrible eater while I was pregnant and am not so great now. So I find it to be so funny that I'd rather put needles in my eyes than offer formula right now. Just an aside...
    Yea for day 2!!!! I am SO happy that you are feeling good about this! You are right...you can't do it all and you are doing the best you can for EVERYONE! Way to go!

Ok, totally LOL about the pump looking like a bomb...and you know, it sounds silly, but you probably are right. The way airport security is these days (you are flying, I take it), you just never know. I guess the worst that could happen is that you would have to demonstrate!!! You do have another double electric, right? But you just feel that you would be safer sticking with the rental at this point? I guess you could if you were comfortable with the liability issues...what if it were lost, damaged, etc.

If they really hate solids and aren't that interested then I wouldn't push it. You can come back to it again in a week or two. If they aren't sitting up that great yet (one of the signs of readiness) then maybe they just aren't quite ready. About the food, at this age, if they show all other signs of readiness, they should be just fine with small chunks of soft food no bigger than the size of the tip of your pinky finger. Really, pureed foods were developed back when moms were told to start feeding solids at 2 weeks. That age has of course gotten older, but still many moms offer very early. There is just no way a 3 or 4-month old is developmentally ready for small, soft chunks. But waiting until about the half-year mark really does eliminate the need for spoon-feeding pureed foods. You could just try this. Sit down to eat a nice ripe banana with one in lap, one in high-chair, or whatever. They see you eating and liking the banana. Are they interested? Smacking lips, reaching for the banana? If so, break off a tiny piece and mush it between your fingers and then let them taste off of your finger. Lots of older babies prefer the finger to a spoon. If they like it, let them have more. Teeny-tiny chunks on their tray are great for them to mash up and taste-you know, for exploration. The same for other soft non-allergy risk foods, like sweet potato. If you were to sit down to eat a nice steamed sweet potato and take a nice small soft piece and offer it to them they might enjoy it. You are eating it, and it looks like something they could try. (you can mash it with a drop or two of water and put a blob on the tray if you feel it is too dry). If they do not respond or show no interest, definitely don't worry and don't try again for a little while. You will know when they are ready.

Here is a link to our starting solids info:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMayJun99p86.html

Here is a link to the caloric value of foods. Even though some are higher, you will notice that it is per oz., so they are going to take 5-6 oz of BM, but 5-6 oz. of something higher in caloric values, such as avocado, sweet potato or rice cereal.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html

Unfortunately, when it comes to BF, medical students don't learn much. You may wish to clarify this, but I believe that I have been told that they have one 3-credit class on infant feeding and nutrition. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. I just know it is not much. Many choose to learn more about BF, but I don't think much is required. Sad, no?

Lots of people make choices based on the best knowledge, support they have had. Some people get lucky and receive lots of help, others search it out. Some never get the help they need and are mislead into early supplementation, weaning, etc. I do think almost 100% of parents out there do the best they can, with what they have, where they are at at that time!

Keep me posted!

Oh I like the idea about the banana/sweet potato thing so much. That sounds so much more agreeable than trying to squeeze in rice cereal and scooping it off their chins. Eating is supposed to be fun, I think. OK so maybe I'll try that tomorrow and if it doesn't fly, take a break.

If my sister-in-law and two cousins weren't named Kate and if I weren't totally infertile and done procreating and incapable of having girls anyway I'd surely name my daughter Kate in your honor (LLLKate is too hard to pronounce) .

Thanks, as always.

Checking out the links you posted now...

Aw, shucks...now I'm blushing! I am just glad to be providing you with some information and support so that you can make these decisions. You are the mom...and LLL firmly believes in empowering the mother to make the best choices she can for her baby. (I believe that personally as well!)

One of my nieces is named Kate. I always get to be "big Kate" when we are together! But that's ok, my sister named her that because we are so close, so I am completely honored.

Let me know how things go!