Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLW, nursing, and pacifier use

Default BLW, nursing, and pacifier use

I have a question regarding my 5 month old's nursing patterns and pacifier use.

He has been an awesome nurser from the start and usually still nurses every 2-3 hours throughout the day and every 2-4 hours overnight. We bed share and babywear a ton, but we also use a pacifier since he seems to have intense sucking needs that are not satisfied by being at my breast.

Lately it has been hard to breastfeed him while he is alert, I'm not sure if this is due to his age and the fact that he is so busy watching everything that is going on around him or if it may be the sign of impending problems. For now I have to be in a quiet space and let him suck on his pacifier until he is nice and calm and then I can transition him to the breast. Sometimes it seems that he prefers his pacifier to me and that breaks my heart, however I'm not sure what the best way to wean him from his pacifier is.

I am concerned because we will be starting with BLW around 6 months and I don't want that along with his preference for the pacifier to affect our nursing relationship. I am hoping to nurse into toddlerhood or beyond and would like any suggestions about how to continue to have a positive nursing relationship with my son after we start solids.

It would also be really nice to be able to nurse him wherever again instead of always having to find a quiet spot or go back to the car or go home. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mama to Eero (February 2012)

Default Re: BLW, nursing, and pacifier use

You have just described both of my DDs almost exactly!!! The first nursed until age 2 1/2 when I got pregnant with the second and would have kept going! They both prefered a pacifier at times and I would do the same thing in settling them with the paci then transferring them to the breast. I think it might be related to a second let down when they are done eating and just want to suck without milk. Don't take it personally. My second is not a comfort nurser and is all about business at the breast, but now at 10 months nurses every 1-3 hours during the day and twice at night. She is way too distracted to nurse anywhere but a quiet dark place these days...my first was the same way. We also co-sleep and BLW for solids and neither food or the pacifier has ever gotten in the way of nursing. You're doing great. This was normal for both of my kids and my first nursed into toddlerhood.

Default Re: BLW, nursing, and pacifier use

This is exactly like my DD. She will only nurse when she is very sleepy or asleep. I know it can be a pain - trust me! I too do the "pacifier trick" where I slip out the pacifier and sneak in my nipple. I agree that emotionally, for me, it feels a little sad (as I would prefer for her to be lunging for my breast whenever she sees me), but I've accepted that this is just how she is and we have a little system that works for us. I also keep telling myself that this is probably just a stange and will probably change as she gets older.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135