Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Duration of pumping?

Default Duration of pumping?

Hi all,
    I've looked around a bit and not found the answer...wanted to know if there's a recommended minimum duration of pumping to "make up for" or equal the time spent nursing, so as to help maintain supply. I'll be going back to work in 2 days and have started pumping some. I seem to recall from the first time around with DS that 15 min was recommended as a minimum. Any thoughts? I am very lucky and will get 2 blocks of time to pump during the work day, with a 3rd in the car on the way to work. I'll then be nursing as much as DD wants throughout the night...
    Thanks so much!

Married to Jake 10/7/06
    1st time mommy to Luke 6/24/09 1 week early but right on time. Was finally able to enjoy after good help from these wonderful ladies.

Now back to these great forums with the arrival of little girl Meghan 5/6/12 ...2 weeks early, but still right on time. Successfully delivered naturally this time around!

Default Re: Duration of pumping?

my IBCLC told me 15 minutes with a double pump and try to remove milk at least every 3 hrs.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Default Re: Duration of pumping?

Thanks!

Married to Jake 10/7/06
    1st time mommy to Luke 6/24/09 1 week early but right on time. Was finally able to enjoy after good help from these wonderful ladies.

Now back to these great forums with the arrival of little girl Meghan 5/6/12 ...2 weeks early, but still right on time. Successfully delivered naturally this time around!