Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got more milk!

Default I got more milk!

Hi all,

I just thought I'd share. I've had low milk supply as diagnosed by my IBCLC with my last two. My DD is 13 weeks. Recently I got mastitis and my supply dipped very low.

After reading posts I decided to try something other than Fenugreek and reglan. I just started on Goats Rue and my pump output increased by 30% in 24 hours. I'm so excited! I've also ordered Alfalfa and Shatavari. My IBCLC says that Shatavari is the new "buzz word" and is supposed to work as good as reglan. Fingers crossed.

Default Re: I got more milk!

I am so happy this worked for you.
    Thanks for sharing your success, I hope other moms struggling with supply issues will gain strength from your experience!
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Hi mama, since you started taking alfalfa and shatavari have you noticed an increase in production?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alilwest View Post
    Hi mama, since you started taking alfalfa and shatavari have you noticed an increase in production?
    HI,

I'm always playing around with supplements so its hard to give a straight yes or no answer. Reglan really works for me but I get very tired the first 2-3 days and some diarrhea. I initially got a big jump with Goats rue but then it dwindled down. So I started on a low dose Reglan schedule. After the Reglan I took Shatavari and got no dip. (So I'm assuming its working) Alphafa didn't seem to do anything. I'm taking Plain Fenugreek and Shatavari now and it seems to be keeping my supply up with a slight increase in production with no side effects.

Truth me told these supplements are so expensive, I'm trying to find the most bang for my buck, ya know.
    Proud Momma
    DD 2-1-01 BF for 16 months
    DS 1-9-10 BF for only 4 months due to low milk supply and working graveyard
    DD 4-28-12 Pumping 5X a day at work, Loving BFing

Thank you! I have considered taking Reglan, but am prone to depression and anxiety, which both sound VERY common in Reglan users. Dr. Newman sent me a link where I can order Dom, but am hesitant to take it without being under a physician's care. I wish I were more trusting, but ordering things online is just a little too risky for me. Which sucks.. I kinda feel like that's my only chance at EBF. Anyhow, I'm taking Goat's Rue, fenugreek, more milk plus and brewer's yeast. Like you, I have noticed a slight increase in production, but have absolutely no idea which supplement I can attribute it to. Thank you for your help, though. Where did you buy Shatavari? I went to the store where I buy my fenugreek and they don't care shatavari.... Thank you!

I buy all my supplements and Shatavari on Amazon. Good luck Momma and let me know how it goes.
    Proud Momma

bump
    Proud Momma

AHHH I need help! My son is 2 months old, I work outside the home but am able to pump about 4 times a day and nurse him about 4 times a day(not including the middle of the night feeding). I'm struggling. I can only get about 9 oz in the day if i'm lucky and he takes that in one sitting. I started taking fenugreek, goats rue and blessed thistle as directed. it seemed to up my production a little bit but not enough to satisfy him while I work. I am a preschool director and he comes to work with me but im extremely busy and cant go in his class on demand. Im frustrated and feeling like a complete failure when I research organic formula options. I DONT WANT TO SUPPLEMENT but I will do what I have to. I have even started waking up in the middle of the night to pump and im exhausted. I dont know what to do. Im worried that if I supplement he may not like it, I may dry up, it wont be good for him... Im a first time mom and a worry wart. Any advice or kind words would help. THANK YOU

Hi Momma,
    Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you are doing some good things for your baby such as taking him to work with you and pumping at night. 9 oz a day of production on an 8 hour day sound about right to me. 9oz in one sitting sounds pretty alarming.
    KellyMom.com recommends never more than 4 oz in one sitting.

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

You may want to post your question on the "working and breastfeeding" thread to get other moms input. GL
    Proud Momma