Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply or combo of other problems?

Default Oversupply or combo of other problems?

My DS is 16 weeks old. We struggled with OS (with foremilk/hindmilk imbalance) and OALD when he was 3-4 weeks old. We used blocknursing to work on the OS problem and but I always wondered if it was still around to some degree as his weight gain was very marked (6 lbs 10 oz at birth and at 2 weeks recheck and now 14 lbs 8 oz at 15 weeks which is almost 10 ounces per week). Poops were normal though (color and consistency). The OALD never resolved but he learned to work with it. I returned to work part-time (2 full days and ½ day per week) when he was 13 weeks and started pumping regularly at that time. I normally pump every 3-4 hours at work and get around 1.5 oz/hour while I’m at work (total between both breasts). We were doing great until last week.

On Monday (7.16), my son developed what I thought was diarrhea due to a virus from daycare but I now wonder if it is the green, foamy, mucousy poops of foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. His previous pooping schedule was once every 3-4 days and he went to 3-4 poops per day. My husband and the daycare noted he pooped more starting on 7.16 but it didn’t trigger as a possible BF problem with me until 7.22 when I started to worry that a viral diarrhea should have resolved (I should mention we went to the pediatrician on 7.19 who said he was fine and encouraged me to keep breastfeeding; no dehydration, good weight gain since last appointment, etc). DS has also been waking up every 2-3 hours overnight which is abnormal for him as we normally get 3-5 hours between feedings overnight. This made me worry he was waking up more often due to high amounts of foremilk during nursing/bottles. Yesterday, I started block nursing again when I’m BFing and started pumping one breast a time to try to work on the OS (I read that it’s best way to treat OS when you’re pumping). But, I’m just worried that this isn’t OS since my yield at work is close to the expected 1 oz/hr and I haven’t changed anything about my pumping at work (same basic schedule, same basic yield). Can OS just come on like that with no change in my schedule or routine?

Unfortunately, last week was a bad week for DS as I worked 4 full days in a row and didn’t get to do much BF at home. My husband reported that the normal bottle schedule was not sufficient when I was gone and DS was still hungry after a bottle. I normally leave 6 bottles with 3 ounces for a full day (typically 12 hours from door to door). He gets one bottle between 7-8 AM and four bottles at daycare from 9 AM to 5 PM and another bottle once home around 7 PM if he’s hungry. I tried to leave larger bottles (3.5 to 4 oz) yesterday and that seemed to work but I worry about trying to decrease my milk production if he truly needs more than 18 oz I’m leaving for him now. But, it doesn’t make any sense why his milk needs would increase now since milk intake is normally stable from 1 to 6 months of age. I’m wondering if he’s in the 4 month growth spurt which may explain the constant waking at night and then the increase milk need should be short-term.

Anyway, I guess my question is if this sounds like a normal timespan of diarrhea or more like OS? This is my first child and I was totally surprised how often he gets sick from daycare. If it is OS (again—arghhh!), do you recommend pumping one breast at a time when pumping? I worry this isn’t OS but a combo of growth spurt/diarrhea/decrease time with me and that if I work on trying to decrease my milk, I’ll be yielding too little for his normal day.

TIA!

Default Re: Oversupply or combo of other problems?

It looks like we missed this one ... I'm sorry about that!

If your baby is going through a growth spurt and nursing more at night, your supply would certainly increase to meet the demand, but it probably wouldn't cause a drastic oversupply and would be unlikely to cause mucousy stools. And if oversupply were the problem, I would think you'd also see a greater output when you're pumping.

How is your little guy doing now?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--