Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Toddler takes forever to nurse to sleep

Default Toddler takes forever to nurse to sleep

My son is almost 18 months old. I nurse him to sleep and bed share, and he nurses at least two times a night, which isn't a problem. Over the last couple of weeks, he'll nurse for an hour at bedtime without going to sleep until my husband finally has to take over and pace the halls with him in a carrier. I'd like to shorten that nursing session, but am not sure how to do it because the only way he's ever fallen asleep is by nursing or being carried.

Our other problem is in the morning. He tends to nurse a lot from about 3 am until he gets up for the day. I work out of my house so I try to get up a couple of hours before him to get some work done, but if he wakes up and I'm not there, he's up for the day, sleep deprived and clingy till naptime.

Would nightweaning help? Adjusting his bedtime schedule? Should I change my work schedule to fit his schedule? I'd love any advice from someone who recognizes this pattern.

Default Re: Toddler takes forever to nurse to sleep

I'm not there yet with my LO, but do you think he might be working on some milestones? I mention it because you said it just started over the last couple of weeks. I love the book the Wonder Weeks to explain the brain development that's happening. The book goes into more detail, but here's a link to Mental Leap 10 (around 17-18 months). http://www.thewonderweeks.com/index....mental-leap-10

Just a thought...could be a "phase" that will get better within a few weeks rather than a permanent change in sleep habits.
    Last edited by @llli*pizanite; July 29th, 2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: forgot to mention the name of the book...
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

My lo has been nursing so much more at bedtime and in the early hours like you are experiencing.

I am just trying to go with it. I've been watching a lot of movies on my laptop while he sleeps/nurses.

In the morning I do what I can, nurse him as long as I can. But when I need to get going I either had my dh take him or I but him in the ergo. We've been using the ergo so much more in the am lately, he just needs to be close.

Good luck mama. Try wearing him more, even just throughout the day. Let us know how it goes.

I'm going to read that book by the way, thanks pp for mentioning it!!

with both PPs. My son had a spate of new words and sentences around 18 months. His canines started working through around 17 months too, and honestly they have been by far they worst teething experience to date. Because of all that, my son wanted to nurse constantly at 18 months. He would nurse, unlatch, and immediately sign for milk again. It was exhausting. Going out for long walks has always (at least since he started walking/running) helped wear him out so that he sleeps better. I wear him a lot in our Ergo, like PP suggested, when I needed to do things around the house as well as when we go out. I also give a dose of ibuprofen before bed which helps when teething is the issue.

My son started nursing a little less once all of his canines broke through.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks, ladies! Sometimes it's hard to see a phase when you're in the middle of it. A reminder that everything could be different in a few days was just what I needed to power through this one. And I'm going to pick up that book - it looks really interesting!

I agree about the phases. But also, what is your bedtime/wake up/naptime timeline like? With both of my girls there has been a point where they needed at least 5 hours between when they woke up and when they could fall asleep again. And I just kept trying to get them to fall asleep at the earlier time until I realized that we could just do something else for that extra hour instead of nursing. When I try to get them down when they are actually sleepy - it only takes 15 minutes, which is far less frustrating for me.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

i forgot to say that one thing that is working really well at night is going for a walk outside. if we walk for about 15-20 min he is OUT pretty fast when i try to put him down. we do a bath and then a walk.