Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5.5 weeks and not eating?

Default 5.5 weeks and not eating?

holding a sleeping lo

Rebecca has been eating great up until today. She would rather sleep than eat and doesn't seem ill - just gassy. I'd prepared myself for a growth spurt and now she's nibbling or just not eating.

Our brief history is oversupply and she eats most of her meals fast do to the way it comes out. It doesn't spray but just comes out alot at a time. Worse on the right but both sides are like this...as she eats, milk escapes her mouth running down her face and my breast.

I tried to pump the other day and have been super engorged since then. Normal? Does it get better?

Thanks...
    Last edited by CatieMay; November 15th, 2006 at 06:24 PM. Reason: add info

Default Re: 5.5 weeks and not eating?

Hi there
    It's always concerning when our kiddos aren't eating as much as we think they should! What was her birth weight and what is her weight now?

First things first, let's make sure she's getting enough to eat. This article can help you determine that:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

If you think she's getting enough to eat then it's probably one of 2 things: either she's coming out of a growth spurt that wasn't obvious and now she's nursing a little less; or maybe she's getting a little more efficient at eating from the breast and doesn't need to nurse as frequently.

If you DON'T think she's getting enough to eat, then contact a LLL Leader (click the link in my signature) or an LC to get some help soon.

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!