Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will I always have to sleep in a nursing bra?

Default Will I always have to sleep in a nursing bra?

This may be a silly question...I'm a first time mom, my LO is almost 11 weeks old and has just started sleeping through the night this week (YAY!!!). Since she was born, I've had to sleep in a bra and use nursing pads to avoid leaking through to my sheets. Is this the norm for BFing moms? Will my body gradually produce less milk over night so that I won't need to sleep in a bra/nursing pads?

Default Re: Will I always have to sleep in a nursing bra?

I leak quite heavily, and I never sleep in a bra, (I'd leak through in no time flat). In the early days, I slept on a layer of cloth diapers and a towel or two. A lot of laundry. I had some sort of rotating system where I'd drape the just-used diaper over the edge of the laundry basket to sorta dry and grab the next one, then switch as needed. All night long. By maybe 6 months, I was down to just using the diapers to catch milk. Now at 8.5 months I usually make it through the night with one diaper as backup.

i leaked at night a lot, and DS is quite the sweater. we put a waterproof mattress cover on the bed, then a sheet, then a baby quilt (big enough for us both to sleep on, very absorbent). and as soon as my supply regulated around 3-4 months, i didn't need that anymore. considered breaking it out again this summer as it's hot and DS is sweating again, but ultimately didn't need it that badly.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Don't worry- this isn't going to last forever! I slept on a towel every night until around 5-6 months, but rarely leaked after the first 3-4 months.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

my dd is 13 months now and i have been sleeping "free" for at least 4 to 5 months now. she sleeps through the night and has since 4 or 5 weeks, so give it a few more months!

With Joe I stopped leaking around six months or so, but I think that's later than most women (I happen to be very leaky, lucky me! ).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    With Joe I stopped leaking around six months or so, but I think that's later than most women (I happen to be very leaky, lucky me! ).
    It could be different this time around. I leaked all the time with baby #1, but much less so with baby #2 even though my supply was ridiculously abundant with baby #2 and just adequate with my first. It was like my body remembered that it didn't need to be leaking all over the place.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

It will stop. I hated wearing bras to bed, so I slept on a pile of towels, so I could peel off a layer after each leakage.

Being a leaker is a mess but moms who do not leak spontaneously have a higher risk of really painful engorgement. Not fun. I'll take the leaking anyday.

I just remembered that with baby #2 I bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Priva-Ultra-Wa...waterproof+pad. It was much nicer to sleep on than a waterproof mattress cover that covers the whole mattress.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I just remembered that with baby #2 I bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Priva-Ultra-Wa...waterproof+pad. It was much nicer to sleep on than a waterproof mattress cover that covers the whole mattress.
    Ooh, this looks interesting! I need this for my puking, cosleeping baby, too. I've been sleeping on chux pads or towels, but the former make me too hot and sweaty. Is this better in that respect?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.