Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New Weigh-in...

Default New Weigh-in...

Here's the back story:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...t-with-Formula

So today was his weight-check with his doc:
    11 lb 5.2 oz
    23.5 in

Doc looked a little condescending when I said No, We haven't supplemented with formula, I was leaving a few more ounces for him to have in the evening essentially supplementing with BM instead and we ditched the nipple shield the day after our last check-in.
    Docsaid: "BM and not formula, hmm...I'm glad to see him gaining weight...he's growing and meeting milestones...so alert and bright-eyed...I want to see him gain more weight, he needs to for healthy brain development...he's still a little young but you could put rice cereal in his bottles to help him gain some."

I DID get a good look at the chart they track all this on and it said "CDC 20--" (I forget the year, 2000? 2003? maybe 2010).

So ladies...thoughts? Should I just keep offering him the breast as much as possible and feeding on cue? Not too sure about the rice cereal thing, isn't it now recommended to not add anything before 6 mo?
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

Default Re: New Weigh-in...

Okay...I did some of my own research on Kellymom's calculators.
    From birth-now he's averaged 4.5 oz/week.
    From birth-now he's averaged 1.04 in/mo.

Average weight gain is 5 oz/wk, 1 in/mo.

So, doesn't this make him pretty much even?

Should I still just offer as much as I can?

NAK

I don't have too much time to write out all my thoughts here and I'm sure someone else will pitch in shortly but I'd reallyh consider getting a new pediatrician. He/she is using outdated information and introducing a bottle with cereal in it is dangerous (choking hazard). The following page is geared more towards solids=more sleep but it discusses why it is best to wait until 6 months before starting solids.
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti.../solids-sleep/

Nursing often definitally cannot do any harm and watch for other areas of growth (head circ, length, etc). Finding a more "up to date" and breastfeeding friendly doctor would likely be a benefit in the long run!
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.

Offer as much as you can, and skip the cereal. It's a choking hazard, and according to the AAP it's not going to increase baby's weight gain. It makes sense, because if you wanted to gain weight, what would you eat: a milkshake, or rice crackers?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I wish we could switch providers! The Army doesn't let you though, you're stuck with you they give you.

We'll skip the cereal, and just continue to nurse nurse nurse Thanks, ladies!!!