Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Block feeding

Default Block feeding

Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm currently block feeding for 4 hours at a time. By then end of 4 hours not usually earlier, the unused side is very full or engorged, but then it's time to feed off of that side. I'm afraid my brain is not getting the message since I only start to get full at the end of a block. So my question is, wouldn't feeding off of the very full side cause the gulping, green poos, and fussiness since baby is drinking from a full breast (this is what happens to me)? So then should I increase the block time? I would try feedings per session instead of blocks but she feeds so inconsistently because of the constant gas and fussing. Thank you!

Default Re: Block feeding

I've used block feeding to regulate my supply as well though I generally went 2-3 hours through the day and used the longer 4 hour blocks for night-time (more sleep!). Blocking is a way to get your supply to balance so instead of taking both breasts baby would take one during that "block" then you would switch. Some babies can do fine with contineous block feeding while others will need to switch back to feeding from both breasts (my first DD had to have both breasts every 2-3 hrs while my second DD and DS took only 1 breast every 2-3 hrs, go figure!).

If baby is fussy/overwhelmed by your milk-ejection reflex (but gaining weight well) then you could try hand expressing through the first rush of milk (or catch the milk in a cup/bottle) then latch her on once the pace has slowed. Babies can generally learn to handle a faster flow over time and positioning them more upright (laid back position may be good) may help as well.

How old is your baby? Are you pumping as well as feeding (if so, keep in mind more stimulis=more milk)? Did you rule out any diet sensitivities (specifically dairy)?
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.

She'll be 8 weeks old on Friday. I do not pump, I'm petrified of making this problem worsen. I've also started an elimination diet to rule dietary causes but have been dairy free for weeks now.
    She is just so gassy and fussy all the time and it always gets worse after feedings.
    She can handle the OALD but then gulps so loudly and quickly and only eats for 5 minutes so I am afraid she is not getting enough hindmilk but after a quick diaper change (she still poops after every feeding) I put her back on the same side and she pulls on my breast and won't settle, it's a battle.

While the elimination diet won't hurt your baby and may help, it sounds like an unnecessary step to me. All the issues you're seeing- the green poops, the gulping, the 5 monute feedings, the fussiness, the gassiness- are easily explained by oversupply and OALD, both of which are far more common than allergies/intolerances to things you're eating.

Don't worry about the hindmilk. As long as baby is growing well- and babies whose moms have oversupply often grow very quickly- you can rest assured that baby is getting everything she needs. A lot of moms labor under the misconception that the so-called foremilk is valueless, and only hindmilk has the elements that a baby needs to feel satisfied and stay healthy. But that's not the case: all the milk a mom produces contains what babies need. And remember that there's really no such thing as foremilk or hindmilk, just milk. The milk that comes out at the beginning of a feeding is relatively watery and higher in sugars, and as time goes on and the breast empties the milk gradually becomes creamier and creamier. There's no abrupt switch from foremilk to hindmilk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with PPs.

Babies can often get a full feed in very quickly when there is a fast flow. My son would only nurse a few minutes on one breast and still gained a pound each week. Block feeding allows your baby to get the full range of compositional variations that most babies get in one feed over the course of two or more feeds, so I wouldn't worry about it.

If your baby has trouble with the OALD, then you can try nursing in a reclined position (which worked miracles for me - I had horrible OALD) or remove your baby from the breast at letdown, let the milk spray into a towel, then relatch your baby. Those things can help with the gassiness too.

I had to give my baby a tummy massage and bicycle his legs between every single feeding to help him with gas. He needed a warm bath every evening because of his gassiness too for awhile.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).