Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 month old nursing too much?

Default 3 month old nursing too much?

So I have been chatting with some other nursing moms and learned that my baby nurses a lot more than theirs do.

She is 3 months old, gaining well, and has lots of pee and poop diapers.

We cosleep and she sleeps about 6 hours at night. Sometimes she wakes for a nighttime feed and sometimes she sleeps right through. She typically has 2-3 naps throughout the day as well.

The thing is that she still feeds 12-14 times a day, and she'll feed for 15-20 minutes. If she has a nighttime feed it will be a very long feed, more like 30-40 minutes.

What am I doing wrong? I feed her on demand. I am gently encouraging a loose routine by offering the breast every hour at certain times of the day. That way at other times she will nap for 2 or 3 hours and I can get things done.

Her nursing often doesn't bother me. I would say I spend about 6 or 7 hours a day with her at the breast but I don't mind spending that time with her. Just wondering if I am doing something wrong. Maybe because of the hot summer she is thirsty? That's the only thing I can think of.

Default Re: 3 month old nursing too much?

Sounds totally normal. Some babies are really efficient nursers, others not so much. Some really like to comfort nurse. If you're happy with the situation and she's gaining well, don't worry about it!

You're doing nothing wrong, sounds like your doimg everything right to me
    PP's

I don't bother keeping track of my LOs nursing sessions anymore. I figure she's happy and healthy, good diaper output, so I don't stress it. (she is 6 months.) But I will offer if I've noticed a long stretch or feel full.

If you are happy with it and she is happy with it I wouldn't change or worry about anything The one thing that I keep in mind whenever talking about babies/kids with anyone, even my doctor, is that since the day I became pregnant nothing will be by the book. Everything and everyone is so different, from the pregnancy to the birth and breastfeeding, even as they grow they will be different from everyone elses kids... So if you are happy with it just go with your flow and don't stress it
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

You're not doing anything wrong! Honestly, to me it sounds like you have a super easy baby. At 3 months, my kids were nursing at least that much, and were nursing every 2-3 hours during the night. And my first baby, who was a slow feeder and loved comfort nursing, I could sit and read a good chunk of a novel while waiting for her to finish. Her nursing times didn't speed up until she got much more interested in the world around her, which happened in the 4-6 month window.

Comparisons with other babies are to be avoided. Yeah, some babies are spontaneously nursing less than yours, but remember that a lot of people out there are supplementing with formula. Or using pacifiers more than they should. Or imposing rigid schedules. Just look at your baby: growing well, having good diaper output, and sometimes sleeping through the night. You can't be doing things wrong if you have all of that!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

As with adults, babies are all different and have different needs. As pp said, you have a pretty easy baby, at 3 months sleeping 6 hours in a row! that is not something my babies did. I don't think my 8 mo sleeps more than 2-3hrs in a row.
    Don't look at the clock and don't compare, it might hurt you LOL

my baby nursed almost constantly during very hot weather, much more than every hour. I read a good article on this LLLI website about "why African babies don't cry much" - the author, a doctor and mum originally from Africa, argues that it's because they are nursed so often. See if you can find it - It's a really interesting article and convinced me to offer the breast as much as possible, which has worked really well for us. Initially some of my friends and relatives would comment ("she wants to eat AGAIN???") but I tried to just ignore their comments and the comments have completely stopped. So easy to keep baby happy by frequent nursing! I still (9 mo) offer the breast whenever she seems fussy or upset about anything _ in fact she is nursing right now - it's such an easy solution, and compatible with one-handed typing or reading PDFs for work!

There no "right" number of feedings per day, as long as baby is getting the milk she needs and it's working for you. It sounds like things are going really well, and it's probably in large part because you're so responsive to her needs and cues.

Just a personal anecdote -- my son nursed 10 or 12 times a day for the entire first year. BUT nursing a 6 month old or 9 month old isn't like nursing a newborn. Even when they continue to nurse frequently, it gets easier and quicker. Nursing my son 12 times a day when he was older took so little time or effort that I barely noticed it.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I agree with all the previous posts. the idea that a mother can nurse her baby too much comes from the idea that nursing is like feeding baby a bottle. it is not. nursing is completely different on a biological level. Nursing is a relationship as well as a feeding method and includes comforting and communicating and connecting. With some effort Bottle feeding can also provide these things but with bottles over feeding is a possibility, as it is not with breast feeding.