Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Worried my supply is decreasing for 9 week old!

Default Worried my supply is decreasing for 9 week old!

I am so scared that my supply is starting to decrease. Over the last week, there have been an increasingly number of times that my LO has become frustrated at the breast, pulling away and acting frustrated. While I tend to worry too much, and this has been my fear since the beginning because I have had to use a nipple shield to bf successfully, I am starting to worry that my fear is coming true. My DS has been gaining weight well and has had an adequate number of wet diapers so I wasn't worried about supply until this started happening. The other thing that has added to my worries is that I have been pumping at night every night before bed and would typically get anywhere between 1-2 oz per breast. The last three nights I have only been able to get 1 oz total. Also, after about 10 minutes of vigorous sucking, he begins to pull off and act like he's not getting any- I don't see any milk in the shield (or very little) after the initial let down. Before, he would nurse for 20+ minutes each side and when done, pull off, usually asleep, but if awake he'd close his lips as if saying "I'm done." He still does this, but less frequently and sometimes now will try to put his hand in mouth still as if to say I'm still hungry but then when offered the breast he pulls off and cries or fusses. He is eating good for the first few minutes, it's the change I'm worried about. Could it be gas or do I need to worry about my supply? I'm sorry if this is long and I worry too much, but this is very important to me. I have been trying so hard, despite my very strong mixed emotions/ love hate relationship w/ the nipple shield and I would be devastated if forced to supplement due to low supply. Thanks for your help- this forum has saved me many times already when feeling on the edge.
    First-time mom to David Alan, born 5-20-12. Enjoying maternity leave for his 1st 5 months and then returning to full-time work as a school social worker and nursing mom.

Default Re: Worried my supply is decreasing for 9 week old!

Hi davidsmomma!
    Of course you are concerned over these recent turn of events.
    what you are describing does indeed sound like your nipples are not getting the stimulation to maintain a bountiful supply.
    I am sure you are trying to wean from the shield.
    your milk supply will react favorably when you use hand massage/expression to stimulate your supply.
    You might want to rent a hospital grade pump to jump start your supply again while you follow the protocols for weaning from the nipple shield.
    you can avoid needing artificial supplements by making milk production task one .
    1. hospital grade pump 10-12 times/24 hours
    2. skin to skin time w/o the shield in between nursing sessions
    3. entice LO to latch w/o the shield AFTER a nursing session.
    watch your LO's diapers to make sure he is wetting and stooling.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I have tried weaning daily, but w/ no success. LO gets so upset and starts screaming- even had a LC come to the house and she's aid he's just too used to the shield, and struggles to latch withou it, but does well with it- she suggested I keep using it. The problem w/ pumping during the day is that I am always feeding or holding him- it's difficult to just eat or use the bathroom. It would cause me so much stress to try and add pumping between feedings- plus I'd be afraid he'd want to eat again and then the pump would be getting my milk, not him, and i dont want to start bottle feeding yet. I'd also hate to rent cause I spent a fortune on a high quality double electric medella pump. I'm starting to wonder if his behavior could be related to gas, cause he tends to get fussy and pull off, even cry sometimes, even when there is an abundance of milk in the shield. He'll also stretch out his legs and make noises like grunting from discomfort. When he does this I try to burp him and usually he'll burp. He also spits up a lot (but then acts hungry again) and has really stinky farts. He still has plenty of wet diapers @ least 8. don't know what to do, just so worried and hate to see him uncomfortable.
    First-time mom to David Alan, born 5-20-12. Enjoying maternity leave for his 1st 5 months and then returning to full-time work as a school social worker and nursing mom.

Okay, as long as his diaper output is still okay, your milk supply is, too. Keep reminding yourself that it can't come out if it didn't go in!

9 weeks is a very fussy time for a lot of babies. You'll get inexplicable crying, pulling off the breast, you'll see baby act hungry and then refuse to nurse... It's generally developmental and not related to gas or to something you're doing/not doing WRT nursing.

I think that because you are still stuck with that shield, you just have to be extra careful to watch baby's diapers and weight gain, and be prepared to throw in some pumping if the diapers and weight gain suggest that baby is not getting enough to eat. I know rental pumps are pricey, but weigh the cost of renting against the cost of supplementing with formula or moving to exclusive formula-feeding, and you'll come out ahead. I tallied up what I spent on the rental pump and scale, and came up with $800, which is a lot of money but I still made about $1000 because I didn't have to use formula in the long run.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So, after skin-to-skin all day and a lot of prayer, feeding today went well except for the second to last feed- he fed for almost 2 hours straight and while was actively swallowing for the first say 20 minutes, he started getting frustrated after that (on and off) for the rest of the session and I again started to question my supply. Then when I pumped, I got 3 oz, which is what I was getting before these last three days. So, I will keep trying and praying and hoping that this is just a fussy phase and everything will work out. Has anyone tried Mother's Milk Tea? I heard it works well so I ordered some today, hoping that will help too.

3 oz after nursing is very good supply. Most moms get only 1-2 oz, or less, when pumping immediately after nursing.

I think the fact that you had a good day right up to the last nursing session suggests that what is going on is not a supply issue, but rather normal evening fussiness. It's very typical for babies this age to have severe evening fussiness, during which they may cry inconsolably, nurse for long periods, or refuse to nurse. I always thought that what was going on was that my kids were too hungry to sleep but too tired to eat, and just generally overstimulated and trying desperately to find their way into sleep.

The MMT may help, and certainly won't hurt. Just FYI, when it comes to increasing supply supplements and teas are nice but they are not a substitute for increased stimulation to and milk removal from the breast using a nursing baby or a pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It could be he is reacting to the high supply. You have one. If you can pump 3 oz after feeding the baby, you have plenty of milk. You don't need teas. I think you are doing just fine. Fussing happens.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Many moms grow concerend about low supply around this age, and it is usually a false alarm. have you read this? The top part, about what is NOT a sign of low supply, may be helpful: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/