Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby not getting enough?

Default Baby not getting enough?

I delivered my daughter on July 14th at 8:45am. She is four days old. She is not latching well and my milk is not in. With my third child I didn't make ANY milk at all...even colostrum. I know I'm making something with this one, but she isn't peeing or pooping. In the hospital she peed and pooped and the first day home she pooped. However, she has not had any poopy diapers for almost 48 hours. She has had a couple of pee diapers a day, but they are not much pee and the color is a brownish/yellow. She has only had one or two pee diapers in the last 48 hours. I don't believe she is getting enough.

I want to exclusively breastfeed, but I want to do what is best for my baby as well. I took her to her 3 day checkup and she had lost about 7% of her birth weight. The doctor said she looked fine. I asked about the minimal amounts of pee and poop diapers and he didn't seem too concerned. I asked if she could be dehydrated because of the color of the urine and he said it is rare for babies to be dehydrated. ???? I'm wondering if I should trust the doctor or be worried about her output.

She has been nursing at the breast and doesn't show signs of lethargy. When she does nurse I can hear her sucking and swallowing. I wake her up every 21/2 hrs to nurse. She seems content after nursing. However last night she would NOT latch. She would just scream and scream and scream. I spent hours trying to get her to latch. The nipple will be in her mouth and she just screams. I finally broke down and gave her an ounce of formula.

I really want to breastfeed, but I also want what is best for her. If she is not having any pee and poop diapers then something is wrong. I've tried nursing her every hour and she won't do it. She refuses. What am I suppose to do and when will my milk come in? I'm afraid it never will, like with my third child. How long do I wait? Please give me some advice.

Default Re: Baby not getting enough?

It is very rare for a mom to simply not make any milk or even to not make enough milk, unless mom has a pre-existing hormonal or physical barrier to breastfeeding. Much more often, mom does not know what is normal or gets not great advice, or baby is not a great nurse for whatever reason, mom gets scared, starts supplementing and THAT leads to not enough milk.

Many babies who latched fine previously have difficulty latching as mom gets more full or engorged. (Please note-many moms do not EVER feel engorged or super full even when their milk comes in.) Also if a baby is frantically hungry by the time baby nurses (and babies get hungry REALLY fast at this age) it can make latching more difficult, as can a too sleepy baby which is very common in the first week or two. Offering to nurse VERY frequently, even when baby is asleep, and/or waking baby, may be needed. No need to wait any particular amount of time between nursing sessions, it is normal and desirable for a baby this young to nurse with extreme frequency. If she does not nurse frequently right now, don’t worry, she will.

It is entirely normal for a baby to lose up to 7% of birth weight or even more sometimes in the first few days after birth and for the poop pattern to be slightly erratic this early as well. Since your pediatrician in not concerned after examining baby that is a good sign, I am sure your pediatrician knows the signs of dehydration. It is also true that a baby is born plenty hydrated and would have to be getting very little to actually become dehydrated. If a baby is getting enough milk, you want to see baby gaining weight (after the initial normal loss of the first 3-6 days) and a baby who is gaining weight appropriately on breastmilk is not going to be dehydrated. While poops (3 or more a day AFTER day 4 or so) are a good indicator a baby is getting enough, the most reliable indicator is normal weight gain, you want to see baby gaining after day 4 or 5 or so, ½ to 1 ounce per day at first, later 1 ounce per day would be expected, which can only be measured on a reliable infant scale, the same scale EVERY TIME with baby always naked or in a dry diaper.

Good hanging out Position so baby can latch when baby wants: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf & www.biologicalnurturing.com

Diaper log http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...diaper_log.pdf

What to expect in the early weeks: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

Help, baby won’t nurse: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

waking sleepy newborn: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...py_newborn.pdf

feeding cues: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...eding_cues.pdf

Excellent advice from LLLMeg, as always. One thing that can throw new moms for a loop is counting pees in a super-absorbent disposable diaper. My midwife gave me a great tip: if you're concerned about the number of pee diapers, tuck a square of tissue paper in front of the baby's genital area. When she pees, the paper will be visibly wet.

If there's a problem, don't feel like you have to just give up! Most nursing issues are solvable and we will do our best to help you fix any problems that you have.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She has been crying after feeding. Won't settle down. I try to nurse her on one side, nurse on the other side, and just keep going back and forth until she is satisfied. I make sure she stays on the breast at least 15 minutes, but sometimes I can't get her to stay that long. So if she refuses, I take her off and burp and switch to other side and keep her there as long as she will. I just keep going back and forth and sometimes she'll eat 2 times on each breast and still be screaming and won't keep going. I don't know if the screaming is hunger or something else. I'm not concerned about the poopy diapers, but I am concerned she isn't peeing. Diapers are absorbant, but when she does pee her urine is a brownish color. Everything I've read said this isn't a good sign. It is like diluted apple juice color. Plus when she does pee and I can see it in the diaper, the diaper still feels light like a dry diaper. So she isn't peeing very much.

I've started taking fenugreek, drinking mother's milk tea, eating oatmeal and pumping 10 minutes after every nursing session. I wake her up every 2 1/2 hrs. She doesn't wake up on her own to nurse. I have to wake her up to do it. She'll wake up on her own in the middle of night, but not during day. I will nurse her for as long as she isn't screaming and if I can't get her to latch I will give her the small amount (usually 1 oz) that I pumped from the last session.

I will keep going, I'm not giving up yet. I just need to do what is best for her. At what point do I realize I'm not making enough milk and supplement? If she isn't having normal urine output that isn't brownish or poopy diapers at all then shouldn't that be a concern? I don't want to starve my baby.

Brownish urine + no poop can indicate a problem in a very young baby like yours. She's only 4 days old and at this point it's still normal for you not to have milk, since milk production generally begins 2-5 days after birth and it is okay for a baby to just eat small amounts of colostrum during that time period. The intense demand and apparent lack of satsifaction after feedings, necessitating you switching her back and forth, is normal, and it's what brings milk in.

You seem really worried and frankly, no poop plus scanty urine output would have me a bit worried, too. So at this point I would go in tomorrow and have her weighed again, and see if the weight loss is continuing or escalating. I would also call a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, and get some hands-on help. Of course, this may all be academic because hopefully your milk will come in very shortly and all questions of inadequate intake will be moot.

Oh- just re-read your post and you say you've produced 1 oz when pumping after feedings. Is that 1 oz of colostrum (yellow and clear) or milk (usually a creamy yellow-white, and translucent but not transparent)?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I gave her one ounce of formula this morning at 5am. Otherwise I have just breastfed every 2 1/2 hours or sooner if she wants. She had a good wet diaper at 9:30am and at 12:30pm. She pooped a brownish/greenish poop at 2:30pm. That is her first poop since Sunday evening. When I pump my amounts vary. The first time I pumped it wasn't right after a feed and I got 1 ounce total from both breasts. The last two times I've pumped I have only got maybe a 1/4 ounce total from both breasts. Not a lot at all. The milk is yellow and not clear at all. It isn't thick though. I believe it is transitional milk? When my milk does come in when I pump will it be white almost a bluish tint and translusent? That is what I remember from my first two babies.

Wondering if I should stop pumping. My daughter seemed very content and satisfied after a feed and I figured she was full so I pumped right after. About 1/2 hour later she wasn't content and wanted to eat again. She screamed forever because the letdown wasn't fast enough. She's not patient. She did finally get some milk, but it took a lot of calming her down to get there. How fast does the breast 'refill' after a feed?

No need to wait for the breast to refill, because the breast is never empty. Milk is being made even as it is removed, and the faster you take milk out, the faster it is being produced.

If what you are producing is yellow and not clear, that certainly sounds like transitional milk and not colostrum. And since your baby is now peeing and pooping again, I do think that you probably don't need to pump. But please continue to watch baby's diaper output really carefully!

Sounds like you milk is coming in so just feed baby as often as you can, a minimum of 12 times in 24 hours woud be typical. Minimum. There should be no need to pump, it is just more work and causes undue concern about how much mom is making (no pump works as well as an effectively nursing baby) and possible oversupply. Formula should not be necc either and will also cause issues. If you continue to be concerend that your baby is not getting enough at the breast, it is time to seek hands on breastfeeding assistance as mommal suggested in pp.

Thanks lllmeg. I am trying to consult with a breastfeeding consultant. The one on this site in my area will not return my calls. There is one at the hospital, but with my last baby she looked at my nipples (I have very large montgomery tubercles around my nipples) and said baby wouldn't be able to latch. She didn't even really try to help me. I asked my midwife this time around if my baby would be able to latch and she said it would be fine. Another midwife saw them and said the same. I did have a breastfeeding consultant come in the first day in the hospital and she didn't say anything about not being able to latch, but she wasn't much help either. My daughter is getting milk and she sucks vigorously and swallows lots. My nipples are creased and flat when she comes off. There is a white line on the top of the nipple when she is done. At first they cracked and bled. Now they are scabbed over. It doesn't hurt anymore when she nurses, but the crease is still there on both sides. Is it okay to have that crease if it isn't hurting when she is nursing? I definitely think we are getting better at it.

Wow! A MINIMUM of 12 times. That means every two hours and she sometimes takes an hour total to nurse by the time she eats one side, burps, eats the other, burps and sometimes takes each side a second time. I would only have an hour in between feedings. I would be waking her all the time too. If I do this through the night as well I will get absolutely no sleep. How do you suggest I nurse that much and for how long do I need to do that?

She had another poopy diaper tonight ( that is 3 wet diapers and 2 poopy today). The poopy one was a greenish color, but now has 'seeds' in it. My doctor said as long as she is have 2-4 wet diapers a day and at least 2 bowel movements a week she is fine...even at this young age.

Hoping to get into a lactation consultant and get some hands on help that is actually helpful.

Yep, new moms pretty much need to nurse around the clock and snatch sleep when we can in these early weeks. We all do it. With my oldest, I had milk supply issues due to several issues and I did that and then pumped for 15 minutes after each nursing session. And yes, I nodded off over the pump. Fun times lol. I am due with number 3 any day now and I will be doing it again (not the pumping hopefully, that is rarely needed.) What can I tell you. In the womb your baby fed constantly and that basically continues in these early weeks just in a different way, because baby has a teeny tiny tummy and is growing at an incredible rate. But it will be OK, this intense early time is short, also with practice your baby will quickly nurse more efficiently. Also, many babies cluster feed-so nurse every hour, say, for part of the day, and then take a longer sleep stretch of maybe 3-4 hours once or twice a day which is fine. That is why the suggestion is 10-12 times a 24 hour day (minimum) and not once every such and such hours.

There are no IBCLCs on this site that I am aware of. Do you mean a LLL Leader? We are volunteer moms who breastfed our own kids, and not professional IBCLCs. If your local volunteer Leader is not returning your calls, call any other Leader you like, we also have a USA LLL helpline, and you are very welcome to PM me with your number I am happy to talk with you.

See www.ilca.org for names and numbers of IBCLC's in your area. Unfortunately I have often heard that in the hospital IBCLCs do not have time for anything beyond triage.

She had another poopy diaper tonight ( that is 3 wet diapers and 2 poopy today). The poopy one was a greenish color, but now has 'seeds' in it.
    This is sounding better and better. I think you and baby are very likley doing quite well!

My doctor said as long as she is have 2-4 wet diapers a day and at least 2 bowel movements a week she is fine...even at this young age.
    NOpe, I would dissagree wth this. That is not enough at this age. After 6 weeks, bm can become very scant and that is fine. But now you want 3 or more a day TYPICALLY. (Some babies do not poop much and its OK, which is why weight gain is the most important indicator all is well. I again suggest these articles: Diaper log http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...diaper_log.pdf

What to expect in the early weeks: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/