Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD frustrations...i think

Default OALD frustrations...i think

I have a DD who is 7 weeks old. At about 3-4 weeks she started having green poop. Pediatrician said it was nothing to worry about. I started to realize that milk was pouring out of her mouth right around this time. I determined that I had a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance with a potential OALD. The more time that went by, the more apparent it became. I now nurse while lying on my back and have been block feeding between 4 and 5 hours at a time for almost 2 weeks. I have seen no difference. My DD will only nurse for a short amount of time- about 10 minutes max, and at about that time, she screams, fusses, hops off the breast, but then continues to root. I can't feel a letdown at the point when she starts to scream and everytime she cries I look at my nipple to see if its spraying, and its not. I put her back on, she takes two sucks and screams, and this continues until we walk away and try to distract her. I'm concerned because we have offered her a breastmilk bottle after if and when she has an episode at my breast and she will take it, but not take the breast, though she acts like thats what she wants. Her weight gain has been good, about an ounce a day (as of about a week ago) but i think its still mostly foremilk. Recently she has started the fussing much earlier while nursing- closer to 2-5 minutes and its been like that each feed for about 2-3 days. This morning has been better, but she still fusses around 8 minutes again. I'm super frustrated. I'm wondering if I am in a vicious cycle seeing as how I am block feeding but she's only nursing for short periods still- she gets about 2.4 ounces in 8 minutes on average with my OALD. Her poop is still green but every once in a while i can see some yellow. It's still mucousy too(gave up dairy and soy recently, too, not sure where the problem lies). Recently I have tried letting my milk spray into a towel and it doesnt seem to help. I burp her more often and that doesnt seem to help either. I'm hoping it gets easier but I'm very concerned about going back to work in a month or so and continuing on this way. Shouldn't i be concerned that she has had the green poop for almost a month? I'm worried shes not getting a full feeding in- she acts hungry every hour-2 hours unless shes sleeping. How do I determine if I still have an oversupply? should I make my blocks longer? Will I ever be able to nurse her outside of my house? I'm out of ideas and very frustrated. Lots of questions and all over the place....sorry for my lack of organization. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: OALD frustrations...i think

With the fussiness at the breast, have you tried burping? When my ds gets like that usually he has some bubbles in there.

I have OS/OALD, and we dealt with bouts of green poops for a long time. At 14 weeks now, it seems like it's better; his poop is yellow again. I still spray milk everywhere though. When he was smaller I used to let my letdown spray into a diaper before latching him on, but I decided to stop a few weeks ago bc I didn't want my body thinking it had to keep producing that much! Once I stopped doing that is when the green poops went away.
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

First of all I would stop looking at the clock. My babies nursed in less than 5min. Once your baby starts fussing, I would stop the feeding session and nurse again whenever she asks for it.

If you are not spraying milk, then most probably you are controlling the OS very well. I would just let her guide you in terms of how much she wants to nurse.

Absolutely with lasbi.modeu! My son was gaining a pound a week for a good long time by nursing for just a few minutes on one breast every feeding. He nursed at least every 2 hours as well. Frequent nursing is actually very good for OS and OALD.

Pumping, on the other hand, is not good for OS and OALD. If you are pumping in order to provide the bottles you are giving, then you should stop now. The bottles are unnecessary if your baby is gaining well and producing adequate diapers. Pumping is most likely the reason you are not seeing much improvement. Pumping signals your body to produce more milk, so any pumping you do is going to negate your block feeding. Pumping can also aggravate OALD. If you can stop pumping altogether, you will probably see much quicker improvement.

I would not worry about the green poops if your baby is doing well otherwise.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

i'm definitely still spraying milk. i just mean that when she starts screaming, i look to see if i am spraying at that moment, and i'm not. i just can't tell whats going on. i frequently burp her, and have just been stopping when she starts to fuss and my gut tells me she wants more. i thought maybe she was impatient for another letdown but when i hand express after she screams there is plenty of milk coming out. i'm just so frustrated. i feel like i'm literally feeding her nonstop, and i can't bring her anywhere because of the way i have to nurse. today has just been a rough day.

For getting out of the house, try nursing in a sling or carrier. I love my Ergo, and it has a hood that helped my son with distractibility too. It is very discreet (I have carried on conversations with strangers while nursing), and you don't even need to stop walking to nurse once you've practiced a bit.

My baby fussed a lot at the breast. Some of it was due to an insane overactive letdown (nursing in a reclined position was a lifesaver for that), some of it was due to slowing of the flow after letdown, and some of it was due to who knows what. Here are some things that helped me get my baby calm enough to nurse:
    • Latch/nurse while walking with my baby in a sling or carrier or just in my arms.
    • Latch/nurse while bouncing my baby on my knee.
    • Latch/nurse while rocking and singing.
    • Nurse with music playing (pretty loud sometimes).
    • Nurse outside while on a walk with my son in the sling/carrier or sitting on the deck.
    • Nurse in the bath.

4-5 hour blocks are huge. You may want to dial it back some. You often need to continuously adjust block length when you block feed. I had significant oversupply (painful engorgement, plugged ducts, pumped 8-10 ounces after nursing) and never did more than 2 hour blocks. And really, stay away from the pump as much as possible. Pumping only makes things worse with OS/OALD.

Babies often grow into the OALD. I sprayed for 15 months, but my son only had trouble for the first few months.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).