Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stopped Pooping

Default Stopped Pooping

Hello,

This is my first post, but I have spent a ton of time on this site since my little girl was born. She's now 10 weeks old and exclusively breastfed. We have had great success with BFing; she weighed 8lbs 11.7oz at birth and is now over 11lbs.

Until a few weeks ago she pooped very frequently but has now begun going several days between poops. I realize that this is normal, but it has now been 12 days since her last bowel movement and I am panicking. She is still having lots of wet diapers and is nursing well. She seems to be her usual self for the most part, besides being quite gassy. She also appears to be trying to poop at times - straining, grunting, turning red - but nothing is happening. When she tries she gets fussy and upset which makes me think she's in pain.

Our doctor suggested that we try a suppository to get things going, and we have done 2 but still nothing.

Any suggestions?? Is this normal? I'm going out of my mind worrying about her.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Stopped Pooping

Welcome to the forum!

For a breastfed baby, up to a week between poops is normal, and as long as baby is still producing plenty of wet diapers and is being nursed on demand up to 2 weeks is still probably normal although unusual. Give those suppositories time to work, try lots of warm, relaxing baths, give her some gentle tummy massage, and nurse, nurse, nurse. Often putting something in at the top of baby's digestive system will stimulate her to move something out at the bottom.

I think that if your baby goes 2 weeks with no poop, it's time to call the doc again.

Brace yourself: when your baby does poop it's probably going to be a diaper-buster. Now's a good time to stock your diaper bag with a spare outfit or two, maybe one for you as well!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I just saw this after I posted about my baby. Seems to be the same thing happening to him. I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say you are not alone!

alliecat123 - I took my baby to the emergency room yesterday at the advice of my doctor because she couldn't see her till next week. The gave her an enima and she pooped within 5 minutes. We were so relieved!
    She also just had her 2 month shots the week before, so I wonder if they were the issue??? Hope your baby boy poops soon!!!

Mine went today, so two times total since getting his shots Monday. Did yours get the oral rotovirus vaccine? Mine did and I wonder if maybe there is something in it that messes up their system?

I can't believe your doctor told you to go to the emergency room. When she had the enima wahat was the poop like? If it was hard, dark and small (Like rabbit pellets) it was truly constipation. If it was the color and consistecny of peanut butter he sent you to the emergency for no reason.

Way too lazy for formula

Yes this reminds me of when my first baby stopped pooping daily somewhere around the two for three month mark and we did not realize it was entirely normal and his pediatrician who I liked in all other respects told us to give him a glycerin suppository if he did did not poop every day and we did that for quite some time. It makes me cringe to think about it now that I was giving my son the suppository every day for no reason.