Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My baby's eating habits are about to do me in!

Default My baby's eating habits are about to do me in!

I posted a couple of weeks ago that my baby was in the 3rd percentile in weight and was pretty much exclusively breastfeeding. (i could sneak a bite of something in his mouth every once in awhile, but he would mostly clamp shut when he thought I was coming at him with food). He is very, VERY, active and in my opinion very healthy. He is now 9 mos old and has been walking for 3 weeks. I have been visiting my parents for the last 2 weeks and did not have the room to bring my breast pump, since I was flying alone. My mother has been feeding him anything he would eat, and she has successfully gotten him hooked on puffs, nutrigrain bars, chocolate pudding, and crackers. I have been doing everything I can to make him nurse as usual (every 3 hours) and he will have nothing to do with me. He has taken to only nursing at night and I know my milk supply has absolutely plummeted, and I have no breast pump!!! I have tried all the baby foods on the market and he won't have it. I have tried steaming vegetables and fruits as finger foods....nope. Only junk! I am so frustrated I could scream. Any suggestions? Should I refuse him food and make him start nursing again? The odd thing is I haven't had a very "full" breast which really concerns me. Shouldn't I be feeling very full? I can't pump to see how much milk I have. He will not take a bottle anymore as well. I have tried putting breast milk in a cup (hand expression) and he will have nothing to do with it. He will only drink water. I REFUSE to have the child that only eats junk....but he is only 9 mos old and he must eat something!

Default Re: My baby's eating habits are about to do me in!

I guess I have answered my own post. I have put him on a strict regimen. He gets nursed at least every 3 hours (we go into a very quiet dark place that he won't get distraced) He get three meals a day put in front of him. Fruits, cheese, turkey, whole wheat bread with baby food spread. No more junk food. I made a chocolate cake from shredded carrots, zucchini, and a cake box. He really liked that. I have decided that if the food is in front of him, and he is hungry, he will eat it. I am not going to give him chocolate pudding for the sake of him filling up. We are going to slow things down and get on schedule again!

If I were you, I would back off of solids completely. I also wouldn't worry so much about the schedule, but I'm more of a nurse on demand gal. I would not offer any type of cake or sweets to a 9 month old - I would just nurse. And then when he is nursing again, I would start with finger foods of fruit, vegetables, cheese, meats, etc. Don't worry about the bottle.

You say that you refuse to have a child that only eats junk - I would go a step further and refuse to give an infant junk at all. And let my mother know that it is NOT ok to give a baby pudding. Solids are only for fun and exploration until they are about a year anyway.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

with Tracie. I would back off on solids, and try to nurse every 2-3 hours if baby's demand doesn't come back up on its own. And I am completely that you don't want to get into the habit of offering sweets even if they are chock full of hidden veggies. At this age a baby should be mostly breastfed, with solids mostly for experimenting with tastes, textures, and motor skills, which means that you want to concentrate on nursing and offer only the healthiest solids without the expectation that baby will actually eat them. Since you have a little guy, you might want to offer unsweetened whole-milk yogurt, avocado, beans, and meats- all high-calorie foods- and add a drizzle of olive oil to his low-cal fruits and veggies. That way what he does eat will be really good for him, but won't be so temptingly delicious that he'll tank up on solids and avoid the breast.

to your mom- there's no way she should be offering junk to your baby, particularly without your permission!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    If I were you, I would back off of solids completely. I also wouldn't worry so much about the schedule, but I'm more of a nurse on demand gal. I would not offer any type of cake or sweets to a 9 month old - I would just nurse. And then when he is nursing again, I would start with finger foods of fruit, vegetables, cheese, meats, etc. Don't worry about the bottle.

You say that you refuse to have a child that only eats junk - I would go a step further and refuse to give an infant junk at all. And let my mother know that it is NOT ok to give a baby pudding. Solids are only for fun and exploration until they are about a year anyway.
    Agree