Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Things feel off...

Wink Things feel off...

Ok, so my DD is 9 weeks (after being born healthy at 35 weeks...no NICU thank goodness) and is now 9 lbs. She was 5-10 at birth, so she's gaining well and has great wet/dirty diapers. I thought everything was going great with BF as well...but the past week or so, it just seems off!
    The problem I think lies partly with the fact that because she's often fussy for a little while after nursing (some reflux, gas, slight OALD on the right side), I haven't been able to tell if she's still hungry or just having some tummy issues or just doesn't want to be off me. I do try to keep her in my Moby or my Snugli as often as possible, but its 95+ here lately with 80% humidity even when its not raining!
    I have also been away from her a little bit lately, having gone back to teach swim lessons for about 2.5 hours, 4 nights a week, which is stressful for everyone at home because she won't take a bottle until she's desperate. I feel terrible now for going back & won't be teaching anymore after next week. I needed the money before another part-time opportunity starts-that I can take her to, thank goodness!
    So anyway, I feel like me going back to work made our communication a little off. It seems like when she first gets hungry she's not giving as many signals like but then when she gets really hungry, she gets mad and doesn't know what to do, until she's REALLY upset at the breast and then she latches finally and everything's good.
    Has anyone else had these issues...? We cosleep and I try to keep her on me as much as can, but I just need a break sometimes! Now I feel like I've caused her to have some separation anxiety or something, and being at my breast triggers it and she gets mad about it!
    Or am I just temporarily insane due to lack of sleep last night. (LO was wide awake at 2:30am, just hanging & grunting for 2 hours...)

Default Re: Things feel off...

Try not to worry too much (I know, easier said than done). It could be a growth spurt. It could be a bit of separation anxiety. It could just be she's had a fussy week. Hopefully it will ease, if not this week then next, when you are with her more often. She's still so young, those separations can be hard to deal with. It sounds like you are doing EVERYTHING right, so please don't feel like you are messing things up. Try to roll with it and keep us updated on how things are going. If the problem seems to get worse or you notice a drop in wet diapers or your mommy instinct just keeps going off telling you there's something wrong, definitely listen and let us know and maybe we can help you brainstorm for other issues.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I think everything is probably ok. Maybe you could offer to nurse every couple hours if you don't notice any feeding cues? My first daughter needed to be on me 24/7 and that can certainly be exhausting!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I agree with pp. Offer to nurse as much as you like, no need to wait for a cue. All (ok, most!) mommies need breaks that is just human. Except for work, which is what it is, I suggest maybe try to take breasks as needed but maybe try to keep them short-time for a relaxing cup of tea or a 20 mnute walk in the fresh air. I bet soon you will be back to communicating well again.

So, we are currently camping (although some ppl wouldn't call it camping if I can access the internet on my phone...but they probably wouldn't sleep in a tent with a 9 week old baby either!)...anyway, my DD slept like a rock last night before the rest of us went to bed & then pretty well for the rest of the night with her usual every 2 hour feedings. I think the lack of tv background noise and just general peace in the woods at the lake makes her happy. Me being happy and around all evening helped too I'm sure! Plus I had worn her out by "swimming" in the lake.
    Although it may not have solved the issue long-term, since I can't move to the campground, this might mean that keeping her outside more when we can stand the heat will help!