Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: will my supply continue to climb/ is this as good as it gets

Default will my supply continue to climb/ is this as good as it gets

I have a 5 week old and I have breast constriction which I am told prevents me from making enough milk to EBF. I got off to an awful start thanks to terrible advice and inadequate experience/knowledge and because my son has tongue tie and upper lip tie. When he did latch he chomped and still sortable does which made my nipples a bloody scabby mess that further deterred me from feeding as often as I should have. Then of course, my son got jaundice and had a poor weight gain so the formula supplementation became necessary. I later found out my breast constriction would limit my supply...though nobody knew by how much. I began pumping at 2 weeks rendering 2&1/2 ounces in a 24 hr period. I got my output up to 4&1/2 oz in another 5 days. July 2ond, 2&1/2 weeks after my son was born I rented a hospital grade pump. I went up to 6&1/2 oz by the end of 3 days and then to 8oz and then to 10. I am now at 12oz in a 24 hr period and I know I produce more since I feed all breastmilk & formula at the breasts alternating sides at each feeding (its easier with the sns hooked up at one side in stead of switching in the middle) & whichever side he fed on before a pumping produces less than half of the other side's output. I alternate pumping with feedings in 1&1/2 hour cycles with a typical 4 hour stretch sometimes 2 times in a 24 hour period generally at night. I am taking galactagogues eating all the suggested foods am drinking plenty of fluids and trying to stay stress free & positive. I am very happy at how far my supply has come, especially since my LC said 4&1/2 may be all I could get (that was my output at the time).

I think I really screwed up my supply in the early days of nursing. I did feel engorged at day 4 and I even had a plugged duct soon after. I feel like I could have a larger output than I do even now but with my condition there is no telling.

My question is; with how things are progressing and due to the bad initial start, could I continue to produce more as he grows or will my supply level off? Does anybody have a similar experience?

Default Re: will my supply continue to climb/ is this as good as it

As long as you nurse on demand or pump at least 8 times a day, you will continue to increase in supply.

I EP for my youngest. I started out hardly able to pump anything. By the time he was 4 months old, I had filled my entire deep freeze -- a large one -- with milk. It takes a lot of dedication to build a supply via pumping, so if you can, nurse.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I agree with pp-basically there are two kinds overall causes of low supply, situational (caused by not nursing/pumping enough or effectively for whatever reason) and organic/preexisting (hormone based poor milk production, breast injury, or lack of breast tissue issue.)

If your production issues are partly based on situational concerns, you should be able to build your production up with frequent, effective milk removal. For the other, frequent milk removal is of course also needed, and some moms find galactagogues helpful in either situation.

I suggest the books Making More Milk and Defining Your Own Success for a very complete exploration of low milk production and all that can be done about it.

I have bought making more milk and the womanly art of breastfeeding I am 75%through making more milk. Its really great and I have found out more to confirm my sons tongue tie and discovered his pallet shape is off too. I feel like I am going down a long exhaustive list of problems that are possible and I'm checking all the boxes.
    I just made an appointment with an ENT to get the tongue and lip tie taken care of and I'm so excited for my baby to be able to transfer more milk so I can pump less. I cant wait for my nipples to be less sore and not have anymore blood blisters!
    I am so thankful for the support and suggestions on here and so grateful for the Internet...without it I would be so depressed and my supply would have stayed much lower or completely dissapeared.