Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New nipple pain at 6 wks, also clicking/breaking suction

Default New nipple pain at 6 wks, also clicking/breaking suction

Hi,

My DS is 6 weeks old, gaining well and generally thriving. He has significant silent reflux (hoarseness, arching, lots of crying, stridor, etc) but is nursing often (and seemingly well). We get lots of we diapers, but as of about 4 weeks he's been pooping very infrequently. I've been told this can be normal with a EBF infant.

My questions is in regard to nipple pain that has come back (though it is different than the first newborn nipple trauma).

I have OALD, I think, and perhaps some oversupply, I sort of block feed - do one side for every two feedings, but he's feeding about every two hours, so its not a ton of time between sides.

The pain I feel is two different types - first sort of burning and generally kind a raw feeling, though my nipples don't look too bad. I'm thinking it might be because he will arch at the breast, pulling back on my nipples, as well as come off and on and relatch sort of slurping his way back on. I think he at times pulls down trying to get a more shallow latch as well and kind of nipple feeds to control flow.

The other pain I feel is largely on the left side, the nipple of which often comes out round but kind of oval shaped. I think he's clamping down to control flow as well. I often will do side lying or laid back because he seems to not come on and off as well, but in these positions on the left my nipple is more sore.

I'm not overly bothered by the pain and am fine nursing this way, but want to make sure their isn't going to be more severe damage from either.

Also, DS often click/breaks suction when nursing, at times with every suck. I'm again thinking its due to a fast flow, but its becoming more noticable and more common and am wondering if anyone had thoughts about whether this is ok or indicative of an issue I should work to fix.

As I said he's gaining well. He's about 10.5 lbs and was 7lbs 1 oz upon leaving the hospital and is gaining about 1 oz per day right now. I see anywhere from 6-10 very wet cloth diapers a day and he's developing well.

Default Re: New nipple pain at 6 wks, also clicking/breaking suction

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*purestone View Post
    Hi,

My DS is 6 weeks old, gaining well and generally thriving. He has significant silent reflux (hoarseness, arching, lots of crying, stridor, etc) but is nursing often (and seemingly well). We get lots of we diapers, but as of about 4 weeks he's been pooping very infrequently. I've been told this can be normal with a EBF infant.

My questions is in regard to nipple pain that has come back (though it is different than the first newborn nipple trauma).

I have OALD, I think, and perhaps some oversupply, I sort of block feed - do one side for every two feedings, but he's feeding about every two hours, so its not a ton of time between sides.

The pain I feel is two different types - first sort of burning and generally kind a raw feeling, though my nipples don't look too bad. I'm thinking it might be because he will arch at the breast, pulling back on my nipples, as well as come off and on and relatch sort of slurping his way back on. I think he at times pulls down trying to get a more shallow latch as well and kind of nipple feeds to control flow.

The other pain I feel is largely on the left side, the nipple of which often comes out round but kind of oval shaped. I think he's clamping down to control flow as well. I often will do side lying or laid back because he seems to not come on and off as well, but in these positions on the left my nipple is more sore.

I'm not overly bothered by the pain and am fine nursing this way, but want to make sure their isn't going to be more severe damage from either.

Also, DS often click/breaks suction when nursing, at times with every suck. I'm again thinking its due to a fast flow, but its becoming more noticable and more common and am wondering if anyone had thoughts about whether this is ok or indicative of an issue I should work to fix.

As I said he's gaining well. He's about 10.5 lbs and was 7lbs 1 oz upon leaving the hospital and is gaining about 1 oz per day right now. I see anywhere from 6-10 very wet cloth diapers a day and he's developing well.
    This sounds like textbook forceful letdown. There is much more you could be doing to help baby handle the flow, see the kellymom article on forceful letdown for ideas. Block nursing may not even be necessary but if it is, the idea is to continue to nurse very frequently but with two or more feedings per side. In other words, do not try to space out feedings as that makes ffld worse.

IN addition "nursing uphill" which may help with the ffld is basically the same as nursing "laid back" and that positioning often helps for ouchy latch.

I think whenever nursing hurts it is smart to be proactive about fixing whatever the problem is, as nursing goes best when it is mostly a pleasure for both mom and baby.

see: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/ and http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf and www.biologicalnurturing.com

Default Re: New nipple pain at 6 wks, also clicking/breaking suction

I had significant clicking issues with DD1, less so with DD2. What i finally learned was that its only a problem if its causing problems. With DD1 it was a problem because she'd lose her latch and almost always relatch in a poor position. Painful, but like any poor latch. She did sort of grow out of it, but then she was not that interested in sucking. DD2 also clicked but didn't change her latch and was therefore not an issue. She almost never clicks now, and is an avid sucker (if she can get her mouth on it, she's sucking it).
    Proud Wife to my Kyler 10/02/08
    Proud Mum to our Sarah 07/03/10 and Laura 02/03/12

Btdt: CS & VBAC
    Enjoying BFing- so much better the 2nd time (thanks lll ladies!)
    I love to with my Beco butterfly 2 and enjoying
    Happy SAHM, & Backyard farmer (I <3 chickens! [hoping to raise sheep for my budding fibre art passion, maybe a cow for a growing cheese habit ])