Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much BM should my 4 month old be eating ?

Default How much BM should my 4 month old be eating ?

My LO will be 4 months at the end of this month, and I was wondering if I was feeding her enough. I work full time, and take 3 breaks at work to pump. I was giving her 5 oz bottles at daycare, and felt like I was barely pumping enough to feed her while she was away. She usually eats 3 bottles, which was 15 oz altogether, and it was really hard to pump that much. I got some advice that 5 oz was too much for her, and I should go down to 4 or 3 oz. I have since done that, and she was still really fussy. I tried changing bottles, and so far she seems to be fine with that. Am I doing something wrong by decreasing her amount that she eats at daycare ? I feel like she was fine with the 5 oz, but the problem was that I was barely producing enough to give her those 5 oz. She seems to be fine with the 4 oz now, and the new bottles. Also, does the amount they eat get larger as they get older ? For example, when she is 6 months old, will I be producing more milk, or will she need more milk ?
    I'm a new momma and need help. I'm so confused !

Default Re: How much BM should my 4 month old be eating ?

If the 4 ounce bottles are working, then stick with it. It's likely that she doesn't seem satisfied after the smaller bottles because she still wants to suck, not because she is actually hungry. That is why it is important that your DCP uses paced feeding with the bottle. My son took a pacifier at daycare too, which helped meet his sucking needs. Of course some babies won't take pacifiers and then some mamas don't like pacifiers, which is perfectly fine - just make sure your DCP is trying to soothe your baby in ways other than simply giving her a bottle.

Breastmilk changes in composition as your baby grows to meet her specific needs at each age. Thus, you do not need to give bigger bottles as she gets bigger. My son took 3 ounce bottles until he was well over a year, and he was rolls upon rolls upon rolls fat (he gained a pound a week for a few months in there).
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

with phi. Both my kids only ever took 3-4 oz per bottle even when they were 12 months. Remember that the composition charges as stated, and also toward the end of the first year she may be eating solids during the day as well as BM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I agree with PP. My DS was eventually taking about 5 ounce bottles, but that was towards the end of his first year. DD is 4 months now and taking 3 at daycare. If 4 is working, stick with it.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

mine's been taking three 4 oz bottles while in daycare during the day since he was three months old (he's 7 months now...)

If he's at home with dad instead of at daycare, he usually doesn't finish all that, either.

This page is also helpful for determining how much your baby needs:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thank you ladies. I will keep trying the 4 oz bottles. I just needed some extra reassurance and helpful info to fire back at the DCP when they try to start telling me how to feed my daughter. This was very helpful ! THanks !