Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 17 months and not eating much

Default Re: 17 months and not eating much

all great ideas, thank you so much.

i think he did just have a growth spurt and he has been cranky because of teeth.

also i love to eat so i just dont get not wanting to eat.

and he loves smoothies, jenna. how do you do hummus? he likes it but it becomes such a mess i am not sure how to send it to dc. just on toast?

ok, i have lots of good ideas now. i also feel like i was in a slump and maybe i was giving him the same old boring stuff. always feeling guilty.

let go of the guilt!!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    let go of the guilt!!
    yep!

Add some healthy fat and things like spinach to the smoothies. For hummus I buy store bought and let him double-triple dip to his hearts content. He is a mess and usually as hummus up to his elbow, he uses the carrots as a spoon for hummus but at least he's eating it! In my experience a lot of kids love to dip anything and everything. Sam loves hummus, ranch-type dip, etc even salsa.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    let go of the guilt!!
    Totally.

It occurred to me as we were having lunch that my son doesn't like large pieces of food when his teeth hurt. I have to dice just about everything when his gums are really sore. I just had to slice rigatoni into little bite sized loops. He usually isn't so picky, but it is an issue during teething.

It's kind of a pain, but I make homemade ravioli sometimes. My son likes little bite sized raviolis. You can stuff them with all kinds of yummy stuff - spinach, greens, squash, salmon, mushrooms, etc. I think you can use wonton wrappers instead of homemade dough, which would make it enormously easier. You can add some heavy cream to lots of pasta sauces to boost calories (and deliciousness).
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    Yes Sam is super on and off with food. Some days he will literally eat like 5 bites total all day! I also do the "pick platter" where I put a variety of stuff in an ice cube tray and let him snack on that as he pleases. It drives my mom insane, but it gets food into him. I will do veggies, hummus, large curd cottage cheese or shredded cheese, pasta, garbanzo beans, etc. What I used to do when he was super skinny was to cook everything in olive oil or coconut oil, add healthy fay to everything. Will he drink smoothies?
    Exactly this. I also try to push full fat greek yogurt because I can add fruit to it to sweeten it, and it has good fats and TONS of protein. My kids respond well to single bite grabbable food, too. So if I do rice balls they sometimes eat more. I make sticky rice, then chop cooked chicken and a softer veggie and roll them into balls for the girls. It's more work than I want to do, and I worry about creating high maintenance kids. I do like that they eat them, though.

Both my kids go through on and off phases with food. DD2 eats like a fiend when she does eat so I worry less. DD1, however, I obsess about more because she would probably accidentally starve herself if I weren't hounding her about eating. I do find that constant availability of food helps. Obviously you can't do that at DC, but at home putting reachable snacks somewhere seems to keep a busy toddler interested.

It's so frustrating. I also know that my kids will eat things that I don't want to make a habit of, so I find it to be a mind game of healthy vs. calories. I really want them to like the foods that we eat, but sometimes I'm willing to just provide some high calorie kid-friendly meals so that I see bites eagerly being taken! Crescent rolls, nutella on wheat bread, and meatballs are all big hits at my house. Go figure. Nutella would go over well anywhere but it isn't exactly well-rounded nutrition!

I keep asking my mom when we started eating without having to have someone tell us to. Her answer: the day you figured out that you'd go hungry if you didn't. I just can't make myself back-off of them for long enough to see when that is.

Love the idea of the rice balls. I just need to get some sticky rice.

I tried putting a bunch of stuff out for him, we put music on a danced. He was totally into it for a bit but ate about two bites.
    We are working on it.

I took a pic for you guys of him eating but I can't upload off my phone.

Really thanks again everyone

Just wanted to say I sent in a variety of things today, including a smoothie.

I had to stop by to drop something off and saw him pounding his smoothie. Made me very happy!

Thanks again for all the support and encouragement. Love you llladies

My daughter loves anything dairy, sunbutter (from sunflower seeds, but if you're not allergic to peanuts, then peanut butter could be a good choice), I know a lot of toddlers like to dip things, so maybe some fairly nutritious dip he could put broccoli or other veggies into?

You can put peanut butter/sun butter into smoothies, too, to give them more protein and fat. My daughter even likes smoothies with beet greens in them because it makes the smoothie pink. It might be worth a try.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Beet greens? The leaves uncooked? That is soo cool!!

Yeah, the leaves. They taste pretty beet-y but that might be because I included the stems.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.