Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is painting nipples and areola with Gen. Violet enough?

Default Is painting nipples and areola with Gen. Violet enough?

I followed Dr. Jack's protocal for using gentian violet starting last night, but noticed halso has a different fact sheet which notes that the baby should suck on q-tip.

I just painted my nipple as indidcated here but am not sure if this is enough
    http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...gename=doc-UGV

Streeeeeesssed

I don't have any symptoms but 1 yr old does have patches in her mouth.

Default Re: Is painting nipples and areola with Gen. Violet enough?

Out of curiosity, have you actually been diagnosed with thrush? I get that it's associated with Dr. Newman but I'd be really wary of putting anything on my nipple with 10% alcohol. twitch I wouldn't put it on unless specifically told to do so by a professional who saw me.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I would definitely want to have a one year old looked at by a doctor if she had white patches in her mouth, especially if I didn't have thrush symptoms. Also, if it was thrush, there are less messy treatments for thrush that I would try first - have you tried any other methods?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I agree, white patches alone could easily be something besides thrush. No pain on your end would indicate it is not thrush. And in fact the protocol you are using specifically says not to treat just due to white patches :

"14.There is no need to treat just because the baby has thrush in his mouth. The reason to treat is the mother's and/or the baby's discomfort. Babies, however, only very occasionally seem to be bothered by thrush."

The protocol above is very specific, so if someone DID have painful thrush, i don't see an issue with using it if you follow the protocol. Gentian violet must always be diluted to .5 % or 1% in water prior to use. Yes it is a mess but it has been used succesfuly for years for thrush. It's suggested use for thrush is also found in Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; August 15th, 2012 at 04:12 AM.

Her ped said it was thrush. So what else can white patches be? I thought it was possible for just the baby to have thrush.

From Baby Center: Some moms and babies pass the infection back and forth: Your baby can pass thrush on to you if you're breastfeeding, resulting in a painful yeast infection on your nipples that will need a doctor's treatment. And you can trigger a case of thrush in your baby if you're breastfeeding and you develop a yeast infection on your nipples from taking antibiotics. On the other hand, some moms remain uninfected even while breastfeeding babies who have thrush — and some breastfed babies are not affected by their mother's yeast infection.

Also do you just let the patches be if they are not causing pain...this is what I don't get.